The report "Service Station Retailing in the Netherlands 2017", provides an executive-level overview of the Dutch service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes (2012 to 2022e) and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
Shell has the largest service station network, at 509 sites, amounting to 14.5% of the national network. In 2016, three of the top five fuel retailers, divested service stations from their networks. The top five fuel retailers -Shell, BP, Esso, TOTAL and Texaco accounted for 52.2% of service stations in the Netherlands in 2016.
As of 2016, 61.8% of service stations in the Netherlands featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a shop declined by 0.8% about 2,174 sites. The top five fuel retailers in the Netherlands accounted for 67.6% of the number of service station shops in the country. Shell is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 77.8% of its 509 sites featuring a shop. 18.2% of all service station sites with a shop are Shell branded.
36.4% of service stations in the Netherlands feature a car wash. The total numbers of service stations with a car wash in the Netherlands increased by 0.7% to 1,281 sites. Esso has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, at 280 sites, amounting to 21.9% of the national network. Of the top five players, TOTAL and Shell were the only top five retailers that increased the number of sites with a car wash in their networks in 2016.
Companies mentioned in this report: Shell, Texaco, TOTAL, BP, Avia, Esso, Tinq (Gulf), Tamoil.
- Total fuel consumption in the Netherlands increased by 1.1% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- Shell has the largest service station network, at 509 sites, amounting to 14.5% of the national network.
- As of 2016, 61.8% of service stations in the Netherlands featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a car wash in the Netherlands increased by 0.7% to 1,281 sites.
- Identify who are the top five players in the Netherlands and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as incresing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Car Wash Network