"CIVETS: Emerging tourism giants? Tourism Flows in Colombia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Egypt, Turkey and South Africa", provides key insights on the inbound tourism. It covers key trends and issues, in-depth analysis and outlook for these six markets.
Inbound tourism showed mixed trends in CIVETS economies in 2016 with few showing strong growth, while others fell steeply. Turkey and Egypt reported a sharp decline due to security concerns. However, with Russia agreeing to resume flights to Egypt and improved Turkish-Russian relations, the author expects these markets to recover in 2017.
What else does this report offer?
- Historic and forecast inbound tourism flows and spending covering data at granular level for six markets - Colombia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Egypt, Turkey and South Africa.
- Vietnam recorded the highest growth of the CIVETS economies in 2016. A simplified visa policy and strong rise in Chinese tourists, the country’s largest source market, supported this growth. Vietnam has benefitted slightly from the conflict between China and South Korea over the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile that led many Chinese to choose Vietnam as an alternative to South Korea
- Colombia’s inbound tourism posted double digit growth over the last couple of years, fueled by favorable exchange rates and efforts to improve safety. A cease fire agreement was signed between the government and Marxist rebels FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) in 2016. This marked the end to a 50-year armed conflict between the two groups, which has resulted in travel warnings from Europe and the US, naturally affecting tourism
- Inbound trips to Indonesia registered healthy growth of 11%, supported by the government’s new visa policy that came in 2015, granting visa-free travel to 45 more countries. The country aims to attract 15 million foreign tourists in 2017 with focus on enhancing air connectivity.
- Predict how the CIVETS markets are expected to grow using historic and forecast market data related to inbound tourism
- Understand the demand-side dynamics within the industry to identify key market trends, growth opportunities
- Direct the promotional efforts on most promising markets by identifying the key source and destination countries.