Medical imaging and informatics research service from the Transformational Health practice highlights the evolving trends and innovations in Image-Guided Therapy (IGT). As the fields of interventional imaging, minimally-invasive interventions, and image-guided surgery (IGS) continue to mature, the next step forward in the development of advanced treatment procedures is combining image guidance modalities with therapeutic modalities in real time.
The emergence of IGT as a growing set of niche procedures is expected to push forward a number of clinical specialties, starting with oncology where it will boost the under-developed field of interventional oncology and in neurology where it will tackle some of the most under-served neurological conditions. Ultrasound shines in the IGT field, both as a guidance or as a treatment modality (focused, high-intensity ultrasound: FUS, HIFU), but virtually every other diagnostic imaging and treatment modality is finding its place in the IGT landscape that is shaping out.
For example, as part of the spectrum of emerging IGT procedures is integrated MR-LINAC, which builds further than the current gold standard of image-guided-radiotherapy (IGRT) by providing real-time magnetic resonance image guidance, in a single gantry. This allows for a radiation where the region of interest can be segmented more precisely, the dose delivered and targeted more finely, and the risks of patient movement addressed more effectively.
This research sheds light on the IGT technology advances, growth opportunity landscape, and market considerations that are aiding and hampering adoption in the marketplace. Philips Healthcare is clearly capitalising on IGT as a core pillar of its growth strategy in imaging, operating high-profile partnerships, acquisitions, and product launches in this area, and the competitive dynamics are heating up substantially.
Key Questions this Study will Answer:
- What are the latest developments in image-guided therapy (IGT) industry?
- What does the role of advanced imaging look like in present-day interventional and therapeutic applications?
- How are the multi-modality integration, image fusion, and real-time image guidance technologies shaping up next-generation IGT solutions?
- What are the new products and solutions launched in the IGT industry? What does the future for IGT look like? What is the future market potential?
- What are the key market trends? What are the key drivers and restraints impacting the growth opportunities in the global IGT market?
- What are the top IGT applications gaining significance in the industry? Which are the applications clinically established? What are the applications in exploratory phase?
- Who are the major market participants? What are their major product offerings?
- How can the competitive landscape be characterised? Which vendors are dominating the market currently?
1. Executive Summary
- Executive Summary
- Image-Guided Therapy (IGT) as the Intersection of Diagnostic Imaging and Therapeutic Modalities
- Developments in Multi-Modality Integration and Image Fusion
- Developments in Multi-Modality Integration and Image Fusion (continued)
- Definition and Study Scope
- Key Integrations of Imaging and Interventional or Therapeutic Modalities
- Overview of Top 11 Key Image-Guided Therapy Applications
- Summary of Top 11 Key Image-Guided Therapy Applications
- Key Companies to Watch
- Key Companies to Watch in the IGT Segment
- Evolving Trends Around Image-Guided Therapy
- Key New Developments in Image-Guided Therapy
- Other Notable Developments in Image-Guided Therapy
- Key Competitive Developments in Image-Guided Therapy
- Image-Guided Therapy-Future Proposals and Solutions
2. Background-Image-Guided Therapy in Context of Cross Modality Convergence
- Background-Image-Guided Therapy in Context of Cross Modality Convergence
- Image-Guided Therapy as a Cross-Modality Convergence
- Top Two Technology Trends for Image-Guided Therapy
- Top Two Key Enabling Technologies for IGT Procedures
3. Overview of Clinical Applications-Application Focus 1: Oncology
- Overview of Clinical Applications-Application Focus 1: Oncology
- Growing Focus on Image-Guided Interventions
- Recent Developments in Interventional Oncology
- State of the Art in Cancer Treatment
- Organ-Specific Image-Guided Radiotherapy and Radiosurgery
- Next-Generation Image Guidance in Radiotherapy
- Evolution of Radiation Therapy
- Role of Imaging in Radiation Therapy
- Radiation Therapy-Overview
- Image Guidance Techniques for Radiation Therapy
- Key Applications of Image-Guided Radiation Therapy
- Image-Guided Brachytherapy (IGBT)-Overview
- Intraoperative Brachytherapy Procedures
- Case Study-Elekta’s Image-Guided Brachytherapy Applicator
- IGRT-Computed Tomography (CT) with LINAC
4. Application Focus 2-Neurology
- Application Focus 2-Neurology
- Image-Guided Therapy-Neurology Interventions
- Center of Excellence for Neurology IGT
- Cutting-edge Procedures Performed at NCIGT-AMIGO
5. Image Guidance Modality Focus 1-Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Image Guidance Modality Focus 1-Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- IGRT-Technology Roadmap
- Linear Accelerator (LINAC)
- High-Field MR-LINAC System
- Case Study 1-Elekta-Philips MR-LINAC for Oncology
- Elekta-Philips High-Field MR-LINAC Installation Sites
- Members of International Elekta MR-LINAC Consortium
- Case Study 2-ViewRay: MRIdian MR-LINAC Radiotherapy System
- MR-LINAC Radiotherapy System-Most Promising Clinical Application Areas
- Example 2-MR Guided High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (MRgFUS)
- State of Research and Regulatory Approval by Indications
- Case Study-InSightec-MR-Guided Focused Ultrasound
6. Image Guidance Modality Focus 2-Ultrasound
- Image Guidance Modality Focus 2-Ultrasound
- Ultrasound Guided Focused Ultrasound (USgFUS)
- Ultrasound Guided Interventional Procedures
- Ultrasound Applications in Image-Guidance Interventions
- Liver Cancer-Embolisation Guidance System
7. Image Guidance Modality Focus 3-Interventional X-Ray
- Image Guidance Modality Focus 3-Interventional X-Ray
- Next-Generation Interventional X-Ray Suites
- Philips Healthcare Introduces Azurion IGT Platform
- Case Study-Philips Healthcare: Azurion IGT Platform
- X-Ray Guided Intra-Vascular Ultrasound (IVUS) Procedure
- Image Guidance of IGRT using Cone-Beam CT
8. Image Guidance Modality Focus 4-PET
- Image Guidance Modality Focus 4-PET
- Case Study-RefleXion Medical: PET Guided Radiation Therapy
9. Growth Opportunities-Image-Guided Therapy
- Growth Opportunities-Image-Guided Therapy
- Growth Opportunity-Image-Guided Therapy
- 5 Major Growth Opportunity-Image-Guided Therapy
10. Competitive Landscape
- Competitive Landscape
- Image-Guided Therapy-Total Industry Participants
- Image-Guided Therapy-Key Segment Participants
- Mergers/Acquisition and Strategic Partnerships to Watch