Energy sector governance in Turkmenistan is carried out by the executive branch of the government, overseen by the president of the country. The General Energy Policy of Turkmenistan is part of Turkmenistan’s 2030 Socio-economic Strategy, aiming at increasing the country’s power generation capacity by a third from 2011 to 2020, and 100% by 2030, which it aims to achieve by the complete modernisation of its major power generation units. In October 2006, Turkmenistan adopted the Oil and Gas Development Plan for 2007- 2030, aiming for a significant increase in oil and gas production and exports. Over the last decade Turkmenistan has diversified its natural gas output and export routes, diminishing its reliance on transit through Russia. It is currently negotiating further diversification of natural gas exports to the South Asian and European markets in addition to its large export undertakings to China.
Turkmenistan receives massive amounts of sunlight, having sunny days 16 hours long in July. Turkmen scientists estimate the energy of sunlight falling on one square meter of countryside at 800 watts. Turkmenistan has approximately 300 sunny days annually, producing 2,000- 3,000 hours of sunlight a year. Some 86% of the country is covered by desert.
The country’s main strategy to meet the growing need of power is to reduce the energy dependency by increasing the energy efficiency, increased use of renewable resources, nuclear sources, and connecting connecting to the power infrastructure of Commonwealth Independent States (CIS). Turkmenistan aims to increase its power generation from about 19 TWh in 2011 to 27 TWh in 2020 and to 35.5 TWh by 2030. To achieve the goal, gas turbine combined cycle power plants with total capacity of XXX MW and renewable power plants with XXXX MW capacity are scheduled to be built during this period.
- Snapshot of the country’s renewable and solar photovoltaic (PV) power sector across parameters - country overview, current power and solar photovoltaic (PV) power market status, electricity market structure, key issues, future plans and strategies to meet increasing power demand, and way forward.
- Statistics for cumulative and annual installed solar photovoltaic (PV) power generation capacity of from 2012 to 2017.
- Statistics for cumulative and annual revenue of solar photovoltaic (PV) power plants from 2012 to 2017.
- Break-up by power generation technology, including thermal, hydro, renewable (incl. solar PV) and nuclear
- Data on key issues witnessed in the Turkmenistan solar photovoltaic (PV) sector.
- Information on future plans and strategies to meet increasing power demand.
- Identify opportunities and plan strategies by having a strong understanding of the investment opportunities in the country’s solar photovoltaic (PV) power sector
- Facilitate decision-making based on strong historic and forecast data
- Develop strategies based on the latest regulatory events
- Position yourself to gain the maximum advantage of the industry’s growth potential
- Identify key partners and business development opportunities
1.1 Research Methodology
2 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3 TURKMENISTAN SOLAR PV POWER MARKET IN 2017
3.1 Country Overview
3.2 Current Status of Solar PV Power Market in Turkmenistan
3.3 Key Issues
3.4 Investment Trends and Development Roadmap to Meat Increasing Power Demand
3.5 Cumulative (CAGR) Installed Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Capacity and Revenue
3.6 Annual Installed Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Capacity and Revenue
3.7 Support Schemes
4 CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
5 LIST OF ABBREVIATIONS
Chart 1: Solar Resource Map of Turkmenistan
Chart 2 Share of Solar PV Power from Total Installed Power Generation Capacity in Turkmenistan in 2016
Chart 3: Turkmenistan Total Annual Electricity Consumption (in TWh) 2000 ÷ 2016
Chart 4: Turkmenistan Power Generation Capacity Breakdown by Source (Fuel) Type in 2016 (incl. Renewables)
Chart 5: Structure of Electricity Power Market in Turkmenistan
Chart 6: Cumulative (CAGR) Installed Capacity of Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Power Plants in Turkmenistan (in MW) 2012 ÷ 2017, including forecast
Chart 7: Cumulative (CAGR) Revenue of Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Power Plants in Turkmenistan (in Millions USD) 2012 ÷ 2017, including forecast
Chart 8: Annual Installed Capacity of Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Power Plants in Turkmenistan (in MW) 2012 ÷ 2017, including forecast
Chart 9: Annual Revenue of Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Power Plants in Turkmenistan (in Millions USD) 2012 ÷ 2017, including forecast