The demand for consumer electronics and mobile communications devices that keep us connected is driving electronics manufacturers to deliver ever-more compact and portable products. Today's users ask for solutions that deliver more functionality, added performance, higher speed, and smaller form factors. Software systems and billions of networked devices are rapidly coalescing into a vast Internet of Things.
All of these forces are driving semiconductor companies to develop new advanced IC packaging technologies to provide greater silicon integration in increasingly miniaturized packages. The last decade has seen an explosion of new products including fan-out wafer-level packaging (FOWLPs), stacked IC packages and complex system-in-packages (SiPs), as well as advances in package substrates, flip chip interconnection and through-silicon vias. All these advances are enabling significant improvements in packaging density and opening new market opportunities for manufacturers.
This latest report Advanced IC Packaging Technologies, Materials and Markets, 2017 Edition reveals the latest technology and market trends in the IC packaging industry by focusing on the most advanced packaging products and solutions-those critical to success in developing cutting-edge products and in maintaining technological leadership. Every market or application segment discussed in the report includes quantitative analysis based on the most current historical years, 2015 and 2016, as well as forecasts from 2017 through 2021. Each of the six chapters examines the market from a different perspective.
Chapter 3: Overview of Worldwide IC Packaging Markets outlines the major IC packaging families and the latest market and application trends. This chapter also includes an overview of the major industry trends driving the semiconductor sector, including mergers and acquisitions, the Internet of Things, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and global economic trends. Total market forecasts include units, prices, packaging revenue, package types and device types.
Chapter 4: Advanced IC Packaging Markets provides an in-depth discussion of the technologies and market trends of the semiconductor industry's advanced packaging solutions:
- Fan-out wafer-level packaging (FOWLP)
- Multi-row QFN packaging (MRQFN)
- Vertically stacked multichip packages: TSOPs, QFNs, FBGAs, and WLPs
- System-in-packages (SiPs): package-on-packages, package-in-packages, multichip modules and stacked WLPs used as components in SiPs
This chapter analyzes the total market and individual market segments from a number of views, including their characteristics, functions, applications, technology, and the key challenges facing the various advanced packaging solutions. Numerous tables and figures provide detailed market data and forecasts for unit shipments, revenues, prices, I/O-count, and die usage. The chapter ends with an examination of the substrate materials and embedded components used in SiP assembly. Forecasts include package units, area of shipped materials, and substrate revenues.
Chapter 5: Interconnection Technologies and Solutions provides a comprehensive examination of wire bonding and flip chip technology and market trends, and includes in-depth analysis of flip chip markets in terms of specific devices and packaging types. The chapter also examines the market potential of through-silicon vias (TSVs) for 2.5D and 3D packaging. The chapter tables and figures present unit shipments and revenue forecasts for each market segment.
Chapter 6: Company Profiles presents profiles of twenty-one advanced packaging companies from across the IC packaging spectrum, including large and small competitors from among OSATs, foundries and IDMs. Each profile gives a short company background and presents examples of their advanced packaging products.
Advanced IC Packaging Technologies, Materials and Markets, 2017 Edition is an effective tool for companies determined to stay informed about the latest advances in IC packaging, and in assessing the future of this important industry.
- Fan-out WLPs
- Multi-row QFNs
- Interconnection Technologies
- Through-Silicon Vias (TSV)
- 2.5D and 3D Integration
- Stacked Packages
- Industry Outlook
- Market Analysis and Forecasts, 2015-2021
- Multichip Packaging Technology Trends
- Key Application Forecasts
- Company Profiles
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Executive Summary
Chapter 3: Overview of Worldwide IC Packaging Markets
3.1 Chapter Overview
3.2 IC Packaging Families
3.3 IC Packaging Market, Unit and Revenue Forecasts
Covers: Worldwide IC Packaging by I/O Count and by Device Type
3.4 Key Applications Market for IC Devices
Includes: Cellular Handsets, Tablets, PCs, Servers, Workstations, Set-Top Boxes, and others
3.5 Industry Trends Driving the Semiconductor Sector
Chapter 4: Advanced Single Chip IC Packaging
4.1 Chapter Overview
Covers: Total by Major Market Segments, Forecasts of the Advanced IC Packaging Markets
4.2 Fan-Out Wafer Level Packages
Covers: Market Overview, Trends and Forecasts
4.3 Multi-Row QFN Packages
Covers: Market Overview, Trends and Forecasts
4.4 Overview of Multichip Packaging Technology
Covers: Types of Multichip Packages, Benefits and Shortcomings, Packaging Challenges and Solutions, Wafer Thinning and MCP Market Trends/Forecasts
4.5 Stacked Multichip Packaging Market Segments
Covers: Market Trends and Forecasts for Stacked TSOPs, Stacked QFNs, Stacked FBGAs, Stacked WLPs
4.6 System-in-Packaging Market Overview
Covers: Types of SiPs, Key Features, SiPs vs. SoCs, Challenges, Market Trends and Forecasts for total Market Segment, Package-on-Packages, Package-in-Packages, Multichip Modules, Stacked WLPS in SiPs
Covers: Market Overview, Market Trends and Forecasts by Materials, High Density Interconnect, Embedded Components
Chapter 5: Interconnection Technologies and Solutions
5.1 Interconnection Techniques Overview
5.2 Wire Bonding
5.2.1 Wire Bonding Methods
5.2.2 Wire Materials
5.2.3 Wire Bonding Material Trends and Forecasts
5.3 Flip Chip
5.3.1 The Flip Chip Process
5.3.2 Flip Chip Packaging Market Trends and Forecasts
5.3.3 Flip Chip Package Device Market Trends and Forecasts
5.3.4 Bare Die Flip Chip Market Trends and Forecasts
5.4 Through-Silicon Vias
5.4.1 The Case for TSV Integration
5.4.2 Status of TSV Interconnection
5.4.3 Interposers and 2.5D
5.4.4 Forecasts for TSV by Market Segment
Chapter 6: Advanced IC Packaging Company Profiles
6.1 Chapter Overview
6.2 3D Plus, Inc.
6.3 Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc.
6.4 Amkor Technology, Inc.
6.5 Carsem, Inc.
6.6 ChipMOS Technologies (Bermuda), Ltd.
6.7 CONNECTEC Japan Corporation
6.8 Deca Technologies
6.9 FlipChip International, LLC
6.10 HANA Micron Co., Ltd.
6.11 Interconnect Systems Inc. (ISI)
6.12 NANIUM, S.A.
6.13 Palomar Technologies
6.14 Powertech Technology, Inc.
6.15 Shinko Electric Industries Co, Ltd
6.16 Signetics Corporation
6.17 Siliconware Precision Industries Co.
6.18 SPEL Semiconductor, Ltd.
6.19 STATS ChipPAC, Ltd
6.20 Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
6.21 United Test and Assembly Center, Ltd.
6.22 Xintec, Inc.
Glossary of Terms
Partial List of Tables (all tables provide data for 2015 through 2021)
Chapter 3 Tables: Worldwide IC Packaging Overview
- Worldwide IC Packaging Unit Shipments by Market Segment
- Worldwide IC Packaging Annual Revenue by Market Segment
- Average IC Packaging Prices by Market Segment
- IC Units, Revenue & Price of Various Application Markets, including: Cellular Phones, Tablets, PCs, Set-Top Boxes, Digital Cameras and Camcorders, and GPS Devices
Chapter 4 Tables: Advanced Packaging Markets
- Total Advanced IC Packaging Unit Shipments and Revenue
- Wafer-Level Packages Unit Shipments by I/O Count and Pitch
- Fan-Out WLPs by Units, Price, and Revenue
- Multi-Row QFNs by Units, Price, and Revenue
- Stacked TSOP Market by Unit Shipments, Price, and Revenue
- Stacked FBGA Market by Unit Shipments, Price, and Revenue
- Stacked QFN Market by Unit Shipments, Price, and Revenue
- Stacked WLP Market by Unit Shipments, Price, and Revenue
- System-in-package Market by Units, Price, Revenue Market Segments and Total ICs
- Package-on-Packages by Units, Price, Revenue and Total ICs
- Package-in-Packages by Units, Price, Revenue and Total ICs
- Multichip Modules by Units, Price, Revenue and Total ICs
- Stacked WLPs Used in SiPs by Units, Price, and Revenue
- Total Substrate Package Units and Revenue by Type of Substrate
- MCP Market by Unit Shipments, IC Shipments, and Revenue
- Total MCP Unit Shipments by Market Segment
- Total MCP Revenue by Market Segment
- Total Die in MCPs by Market Segment
- MCP Unit Shipments by Application
- MCP Units by Device Function
- MCP Units by Interconnection Method
Chapter 5 Tables: Interconnection Technologies and Solutions
- Total Wire Bond Package Unit Shipments and Revenue, by Device Type and I/O Count
- Total Flip Chip Package Units Shipments, Revenue and Average Price by Package Type and I/O Count
- Individual IC Device Flip Chip Package Market Segments by Packaging Type Unit Shipments, Revenue and Share of Market
- Through-Silicon Vias Unit Shipments by Type of MCP
- 3D Plus, Inc.
- Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc.
- Amkor Technology, Inc.
- Carsem, Inc.
- ChipMOS Technologies (Bermuda), Ltd.
- CONNECTEC Japan Corporation
- Deca Technologies
- FlipChip International, LLC
- HANA Micron Co., Ltd.
- Interconnect Systems Inc. (ISI)
- NANIUM, S.A.
- Palomar Technologies
- Powertech Technology, Inc.
- Shinko Electric Industries Co, Ltd
- Signetics Corporation
- Siliconware Precision Industries Co.
- SPEL Semiconductor, Ltd.
- STATS ChipPAC, Ltd
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
- United Test and Assembly Center, Ltd.
- Xintec, Inc.