DIY market will grow 10.4% in the five years to 2022, an increase of 5.0 percentage points on the previous five years’ growth. Housing transactions are expected to return to steady growth from 2018. This will help encourage spend on major DIY and gardening projects. UK gardening spend will rise 11.7% between 2017 and 2022, boosted by the ageing population, the popularity of grow-your-own which is particularly resonating among younger age groups; and also as more consumers choose to make greater use of outdoor spaces and entertain at home.
Growth in online continues to outpace physical stores and we forecast e-commerce sales to grow 47.3% in the next five years to reach £1.5bn, compared to a 7.3% increase in DIY & gardening sales through offline channels (stores/mail order/phone). Growth will be driven by the specialists B&Q, Screwfix, Wickes and Wyevale, which have all made large investments in their multichannel platforms and fulfilment services, making it more convenient than ever to purchase DIY & gardening products online. Penetration in both DIY and gardening is highest among the older age groups who have greater experience and skills, especially within DIY. Retailers are investing in initiatives such as sponsoring popular TV programmes and opening smaller format stores in urban areas to attract younger shoppers and drive spend.
Quality and value for money are the most important purchase motivators for both DIY and gardening, especially among mature shoppers. These are closely followed by price. Convenience instore increased in importance, and we have seen many retailers investing in improving their store formats through improved signage, better use of lighting and space and more accessible layouts to enhance the customer experience.
Screwfix has seen its market share increase rapidly in DIY over the past five years up 5.2ppts, forecast to account for 8.1% of the UK DIY market in 2017. Its investment in click & collect and multichannel makes it a clear example of where retailer innovation has been able to change attitudes to shopping and resulted in market share gain.
The report "The UK DIY & Gardening Market 2017-2022" providing a detailed analysis of the DIY & gardening markets, with value and volume forecast up to 2022. The report provides quantitative and qualitative analysis of the UK market, evaluating major trends, consumer attitudes and an in-depth analysis of key market players.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis:
- Identifying the factors that are driving the DIY & gardening sector.
- Looking at the retailers consumers use in the DIY & gardening sector.
- Understanding how consumers shop in the DIY & gardening sector.
- Exploring motivations and views on shopping for DIY & gardening products.
- Participation in DIY has fallen over the past generation, with only 23.0% of shoppers between the ages of 16-24 making a purchase in this category over the past 12 months, compared with a peak of 48.5% of those aged 55-64.
- Growth in online continues to outpace physical stores, up by 47.3% in the next five years compared to a 7.3% increase in DIY & gardening sales through physical stores.
- Value for money and quality remain the most important factors for shoppers purchasing DIY and gardening products - with many retailers highlighting their value credentials and striving to compete on price.
- Utilise our five-year forecasts to 2022 for individual product categories to refocus your strategy on key areas of high growth.
- Review our analysis on key market issues and use our strategies to better compete in the current climate of economic uncertainty.
- Compare our analysis on major DIY & gardening retailers; enhance your understanding of their strengths and weaknesses and retailers’ market share growth prospects.
- Recognise which consumers to target and how to attract them by utilising our shopper penetration data and understanding what influences their retailer selection and spending motivations.