"Cigarettes in Zambia, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Zambian market. The report analyzes the market size and structure, on both an overall and per capita basis, based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise. Key companies and consumer trends are also analyzed.
The Zambian cigarette market is intimately linked to the performance of the overall economy and as a result goes through regular peaks and troughs that follow the cyclical nature of the commodities-based Zambian economy. Cigarette consumption increased steadily throughout the 2000’s but has seen substantial contractions in recent years because of the increasing popularity for RYO cigarettes and the growing black market from illegal cigarette imports, mostly from Zimbabwe, that has severely hurt the Zambian cigarette market - particularly the low cost sector. In fact, Illicit cigarette imports is a major feature of the market with the Zambian Chamber of Commerce & Industry indicating that almost a filth of cigarettes in Zambia are non-duty paid.
The market is dominated by BAT but they have been losing market share in recent years to other large multinationals, such as JTI, as they compete for the mid-range and premium part of the market. Overall, the cigarette market is declining in the country which will create a more difficult trading position for cigarette companies in the long term.
- Cigarette consumption fell to only 720 million pieces in 2016.
- Duty paid cigarette per capita consumption was less than 50 cigarettes per year, as of 2016.
- The smoking population has stayed steady over recent years and stood at over 12%, as of 2016.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail Prices
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production and Trade
8. Operating Constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings
8.3. Government Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 3: Market Segmentation: Filter v Plain Cigarettes, 2000-2014, Million Pieces
Table 4: Market Segmentation: Filter v Plain Cigarettes, 2000-2014, Percentage Share (%)
Table 5: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, 2000-2016
Table 6: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Percentage Share (%), 2000-2016
Table 7: Retail Prices, Leading Brands, 2008 & 2010, Zk/Pack
Table 8: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
Table 9: Cigarette Smokers by Gender, 2007, Percentage Share (%)
Table 10: Cigarette Smokers by Location, 2007, Percentage Share (%)
Table 11: Smoking Prevalence, Tobacco & Cigarettes, 2009
Table 12: Cigarette Production, 1990-2014, Million Pieces
Table 13: Imports by Country of Origin, 2005-2015, Million Pieces
Table 14: Imports by Country of Origin, 2005-2015, Percentage Share (%)
Table 15: Exports by country of destination, 2005-2015, Million Pieces
Table 16: Exports by country of destination, 2005-2015, Million Pieces
Table 17: Company profile: British American Tobacco (Zambia) Plc.
Table 18: Company profile: Roland Imperial Tobacco Ltd
Table 19: Consumption Forecasts to 2026
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology