"Cigarettes in Latvia, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Latvian market. The report analyzes the market size and structure, on both an overall and per capita basis, based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise. Key companies and consumer trends are also analyzed.
Latvia is one of the three Baltic States and, like its two neighbors, joined the EU in 2004 and adopted the euro in 2014. As a result, cigarette taxes and prices are much higher in Latvia than other eastern European countries, like Belarus and Russia, as the country is forced to meet EU requirements and minimum pricing rules. The constant price and tax hikes from the government, with more planned in 2017 and 2018, has damaged demand for cigarettes and also encouraged the contraband trade. In fact, over a fifth of the cigarette market made up of illicit cigarettes in 2016 with most of these being smuggled in from Belarus and Russia.
Overall the Latvian cigarette market, like many other markets in more developed nations, is in long term decline as smoking rates continue to fall, taxes and prices increase, and non-duty paid cigarette consumption continues to eat away at the legitimate market. This is exacerbated by the particularly strong influence of contraband cigarettes and the lack of any domestic cigarette factories, the last one closed in 2009, which makes the Latvian cigarette market and even more tough market for international brands.
- PMI is the largest brand in Latvia with over 40% of the market, as of 2016.
- Cigarette consumption fell to just under 2 billion pieces in 2016 from 5.8 billion pieces in 1990.
- Non-duty paid cigarettes were estimated to be 560 million pieces in 2016 or just over a fifth of the overall market.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail Prices
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production and Trade
8. Operating Constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Prospects & Forecasts
10.1. What is this Report About?
10.2. Time Frame
10.3. Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption , 1990-2016
Table 2: Releases for Consumption, 2002-2015
Table 3: Non-Duty Paid v Legitimate Consumption, 2002-2016, Million pieces
Table 4: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 5: Manufacturer Sales Volumes, Million Pieces, 2000-2016
Table 6: Manufacturer Sales Volumes, 2000-2016, %
Table 7: Top 10 Ranking Brands, 2007-2016
Table 8: EU Countries, Retail Price & Tax Incidence Comparison, Cigarettes, January 2017
Table 9: Ranking by Prices at Jan 2017
Table 10: Pack Prices, 2005-2017
Table 11: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
Table 12: Adult Smoking Prevalence by Gender & Age, 2010 & 2012, Percentage share (%)
Table 13: Adult Smoking Prevalence by Age & Educational Background, 2012, Percentage Share (%)
Table 14: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016, Million Pieces
Table 15: Imports of Cigarettes, 1994-2016
Table 16: Imports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2000-2016
Table 17: Imports by Country of Origin, Percentage share (%) , 2000-2016
Table 18: Exports of Cigarettes, 1994-2016
Table 19: Exports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2000-2016
Table 20: Exports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, Percentage share (%)
Table 21: Consumption Forecasts to 2026
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology