Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 24.5% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2017, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (20.3%) and wholesale, retail and hotels activities (15.3%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 6.7%, 7.2% and 7.3%, respectively, in 2018.
Due to higher regional income inequality and uneven population distribution, top three provinces (Guateng, KwaZulu Natal and Western Cape) account for 64% of the total domestic product and 55% of the total population, as per the latest available data.
- The overall FTSE/JSE All Share (Johannesburg Stock Exchange) index exhibits an upward trend over the last one year. As of August 6, 2018, FTSE/JSE index stood at 56,861.2, compared to 56,163.6 on August 7th, 2017
- Finance, real estate and business services attracted most of the investment in 2016
- President Cyril Ramaphosa has aimed to attract US$100 mn worth of investment over the next five years.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
List of Figures
Exhibit 1: South Africa’s Performance in the Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to Middle East and Africa and the World
Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index
Exhibit 4: FTSE/JSE All Share Index
Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy
Exhibit 6: FDI inflows and outflows, 2014-2017
Exhibit 7: Net FDI Inflows by Sector (2016)
Exhibit 8: FDI Inflows Share by Region (2016)
Exhibit 9: FDI inflows by type of investment (2010-2016)
Exhibit 10: Key Infrastructure Indicators
Exhibit 11: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate
Exhibit 12: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017)
Exhibit 13: Export, Import and Trade Balance
Exhibit 14: Current Account Balance
Exhibit 15: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2013-2017
Exhibit 16: Pearls, precious stones and metals, % of total exports, 2017
Exhibit 17: Interest Rates
Exhibit 18: Exchange Rate
Exhibit 19: Public Finance
Exhibit 20: General Government Debt
Exhibit 21: Employment/Unemployment
Exhibit 22: Average Annual Wages
Exhibit 23: Labour Cost Index
Exhibit 24: Rural/Urban Share of Total Population
Exhibit 25: Age-group Share of Total Population
Exhibit 26: Gender Split
Exhibit 27: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2017
Exhibit 28: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015
Exhibit 29: High-technology exports (% of manufactured exports), 2016
Exhibit 30: Doing Business in South Africa 2018
Exhibit 31: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2017
Exhibit 32: CO2 Emissions