For almost 30 years, Triangle’s UK Domestic B2B Express Parcels Distribution Survey has been the industry standard benchmarking survey for the UK express industry. In 2008, recognising the growing importance of the home delivery sector Triangle started a UK B2C Express Parcels Distribution Survey. In 2011 Triangle introduced a new UK Domestic Express Parcels Report which combines the results from the B2B and B2C sector surveys. 2017 will be Wave 7 representing a total sample size of 900 parcels shippers.
Each sector survey focuses on regular B2B or B2C parcels shippers within the UK, tracking changes in service usage and customer perceptions of the leading carriers and their performance levels. For many senior executives in the express industry the study sets independent KPI’s for internal management initiatives and provides an invaluable competitor benchmark comparison which can work alongside in-house research data such as carriers’ own customer satisfaction surveys. Shippers too will find the survey an invaluable input to carrier selection and monitoring.
The surveys are based on fixed quotas for primary carrier ratings (i.e. carrier used most often), in order to guarantee robust results for each of the main carriers. A rating for the next most often used carrier is also captured, but no quota by carrier is set for them, i.e. these are random. Approximately 1,200 carrier ratings will be collected for this combined analysis, based on primary and secondary usage.
Triangle surveys are conducted via in-depth telephone interviews held in accordance with the Market Research Society Code of Conduct and supported by CATI software. The core sample is selected from a large database of known users of parcel distribution services. Triangle’s interviewers are experienced market researchers who have been carrying out studies with users of express parcels services for many years.
The survey results are reported in a management summary including analysis, graphical representation of the results and comparative charts. In addition, individual company summaries can be produced and supported by personalised presentations where desired.
- Market metrics (average volumes, weights)
- Carrier usage (most often used, others used in last 12 months/last 3 years, lapsed usage)
- Carrier awareness (other carriers not used, spontaneous & prompted)
- Carrier selection criteria
- Pricing changes
- Carrier performance ratings for the top two carriers (most often used and second most often used in volume terms) on Overall level of service plus five core attributes such as Price and Customer service
- Carrier descriptors for the top two carriers on eleven key statements
- Likelihood of recommending the primary carrier used (which provides a Net Promoter Index Benchmark for the industry)
- Total spend and percentage of total spend with main carrier (Share of wallet)
- Timed service usage
- Website usefulness
- Sales & marketing recall/rating
- Carrier Service Profiles