Kolkata city (formerly called Calcutta) is the capital and the largest city of West Bengal state and seventh largest city in India in terms of population. Due to the concentration of industry, financial services and commercial activities within the city, Kolkata is commonly known as the economic center of eastern India.
“City Profile - Kolkata” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Kolkata. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- Kolkata has a diversified industrial base, regulated by large public and private sector corporations. The major industrial sectors include steel, mining, minerals, heavy engineering, pharmaceuticals, cement, textiles, food processing and jute.
- West Bengal is one of the major tourist places in India as well as across the world. The state, which shares international borders with three countries, namely Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan, is also easily accessible by road.
- The construction sector is a key contributor for development in Kolkata and accounts for 6.2% of the area’s GVA
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
List of Tables
Table 1: Kolkata metropolitan area - key facts (estimates), 2016
Table 2: Kolkata metropolitan area - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Kolkata metropolitan area - economic growth comparison (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Kolkata metropolitan area - GDP per capita comparison (2000-25) (US$)
Table 5: Kolkata metropolitan area - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Kolkata metropolitan area - main universities, 2016
Table 7: Kolkata metropolitan area - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 8: Kolkata metropolitan area - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 9: Kolkata city - mass transit network indicators, 2016
Table 10: Kolkata city - Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International airport key indicators
Table 11: Kolkata city - office rents, Q1 2017
Table 12: Kolkata city - country wise tourist arrival through Kolkata airport, 2015
Table 13: Kolkata city - MICE* and other events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Kolkata metropolitan area -real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Kolkata metropolitan area - economic growth comparison (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Kolkata metropolitan area - GDP per capita comparison (2000-2025)
Figure 4: Kolkata metropolitan area - employment structure (2000-2025) (% of total)
Figure 5: Kolkata metropolitan area - population by comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Kolkata metropolitan area - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)