Osaka metropolitan area is Japan’s second most populated area after Tokyo. The area’s economic growth was underpinned by development of the pharmaceutical, chemical and electric equipment sectors. The area has a cluster of chemical industries and major strengths of the economy are healthcare, medical and pharmaceuticals industries. Goods trading activities are also spurred with presence of Osaka port, the international gateway for foreign trade, mainly Asian countries
“City Profile - Osaka” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Osaka. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- One of the key economic drivers is tourism sector. The government of Japan is aiming to double the number of tourists to Japan to 20 million by 2020 in line with hosting Olympics 2020.
- The construction industry in the Osaka metropolitan area accounted for 3.8% of the area’s total GVA in 2016. Many efforts are being laid down by the Government in a bid to host global Expo exhibition in 2025 including construction of Yumeshima and Umekita development projects
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
List of Tables
Table 1: Osaka metropolitan area - key facts (estimates), 2016
Table 2: Osaka metropolitan area - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Osaka metropolitan area - economic growth comparison (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Osaka metropolitan area - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Osaka metropolitan area - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Osaka metropolitan area - main universities, 2016
Table 7: Osaka metropolitan area - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 8: Osaka metropolitan area - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 9: Osaka metropolitan area - public transport network
Table 10: Kansai International Airport (KIX) - key airport indicators
Table 11: Osaka International Airport (ITM) - key airport indicators
Table 12: Osaka metropolitan area - Fortune Global 500 companies with main HQ in city, 2016
Table 13: Osaka city - office rents, Q1 2017
Table 14: Osaka metropolitan area - foreign visitors by country of residence
Table 15 : Osaka metropolitan area - tourist accommodation indicators
Table 16: Osaka metropolitan area- MICE and other events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Osaka metropolitan area - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Osaka metropolitan area - economic growth comparison (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Osaka metropolitan area - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25
Figure 4: Osaka metropolitan area - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Osaka metropolitan area - population comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Osaka metropolitan area - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)