Kopparberg Cider has been a familiar product in the UK market for a number of years. Leveraging its success, the brand launched a fruit-flavored lager product in 2016 targeting Millennial consumers through both its flavor and its marketing approach.
The UK lager category faces challenges in yielding growth based on its maturity, leading to innovative exploration of hybridization and flavor experimentation as a means of attracting new custom.
- Hybridization, or crossing genre boundaries, continues to offer new opportunities in the face of maturity or stagnation in mainstream alcoholic beverage categories.
- Millennials’ tastes are markedly different to older generations, allowing tailoring of both flavors/formulations and associated marketing and branding to their specific needs and lifestyles.
- Lager makes a good vehicle for experimentation and tailoring to differing demographic opportunities. As shown by Kopparberg, it can be lightened and molded to exhibit wider gender appeal while also becoming more generationally specific/relevant.
- While craft beer has built a significant industry around experimentation, flavor, and ingredient creativity and originality, lagers tend to be associated with mainstream drinking occasions and “corporate product.” However, as Kopparberg hints, its basic nature can make it a common denominator among consumers of differing cohorts and tastes, while providing a vehicle for experimentation by incorporating new influences.
- Use the author's selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.