Total fuel consumption in Luxembourg decreased by 2.5% in 2016 compared to the previous year. Volume sales of petrol decreased in 2016 by 2.5% to 394 Million liters. Diesel consumption also declined by 2.5% about 1,931 Million liters. Fuel prices began to increase in Luxembourg and in Europe, the price of petrol in 2016 rose by 1.8%, and diesel prices grew by 20.0%. In Luxembourg fuel consumption is expected to decline 13.4% towards 2022 as motorists invest in increasingly fuel efficient vehicles over this period.
As of 2016, 87.4% of service stations in Luxembourg featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a shop declined by 6.7% about 208 sites. The top five fuel retailers in Luxembourg accounted for 78.8% of the number of service station shops in the country. Aral is the leading player in the service station shop market, with all of its 45 sites featuring a shop. 21.6% of all service station sites with a shop are Aral branded.
Total number of service stations in Luxembourg decreased by 3.6% about 238 sites in 2016. Aral has the largest service station network, at 45 sites, amounting to 18.9% of the national network. In 2016, two of the top five fuel retailers, expanded their service station networks. The top five fuel retailers -Shell, Aral, TOTAL, Q8 and Esso accounted for 81.1% of service stations in Luxembourg in 2016.
29.0% of service stations in Luxembourg feature a car wash. The total number of service stations with a car washes in Luxembourg increased by 3.4% to 69 sites. Aral has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, at 25 sites, amounting to 36.2% of the national network. Of the top five players, Esso and Q8 were the only top five retailers that increased the number of sites with a car wash in their networks in 2016.
The report "Service Station Retailing in Luxembourg 2017" provides an executive-level overview of the Luxembourg service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes (2012 to 2022e) and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned, motorway and unmanned sites. Company fuel volumes, values and Market Shares. Major competitor analysis by country.
Companies mentioned in this report: Aral, Q8, Shell, TOTAL, Esso, Texaco, Gulf, and BP.
- Total fuel consumption in Luxembourg decreased by 2.5% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- Aral has the largest service station network, at 45 sites, amounting to 18.9% of the national network.
- The top five fuel retailers in Luxembourg accounted for 78.8% of the number of service station shops in the country.
- The total number of service stations with a car wash in Luxembourg increased by 3.4% to 69 sites.
- Identify who are the top five players in Luxembourg and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as incresing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Shops
Service Station Car Wash Network