"ICT Investment Trends in Education", report presents the findings from a survey of 158 educational institutions regarding their Information & Communications Technology (ICT) investment trends. The survey investigates how educational institutions currently allocate their ICT budgets across the core areas of enterprise ICT expenditure: hardware, software, IT services, communications, and consulting.
The report illustrates the core technologies that enterprises are investing in, including security products, content management, IoT, and cloud computing. The survey also highlights the approach to purchasing technology adopted by educational institutions. Through the author’s survey, the report aims to provide a better insight to ICT vendors and service providers when pitching their solutions to educational institutions. The report focuses on educational institutions’ ICT expenditure trends for specific business areas and technologies, identifying the top three IT projects, and understanding the primary objectives of various systems components.
As technology takes over traditional learning to enable students access information from anywhere, on any device, and at their own pace, alternative mediums such as adaptive and blended learning are becoming a norm to impart education in schools and universities today. Consequently, the author’s survey reveals that a majority of respondents are keen on investing in core areas of technologies, including hardware, software, and IT services.
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
- How ICT budgets are set to change in 2017 in terms of their overall size
- Allocation across the core elements of IT spend, including hardware, software, services, communications, and consulting
- Distribution of ICT money in areas such as the networks, applications, service desk, and data centers
- Which ICT functions educational institutions are interested in outsourcing
- Educational institutions’ investment priorities based on their budget allocations across core technology categories such as security products, content management, IoT, and cloud computing
- Factors that are influencing educational institutions’ investments in each technology category
- How educational institutions’ IT budgets are currently allocated across various segments within a technology category
- Educational institutions’ distribution of their ICT budget across various segments within a technology category
- Vendor satisfaction ratings for various core and advanced technology categories
- Insight into educational institutions’ preferred buying approaches
- Business objectives that educational institutions are looking to achieve through their IT investment strategies
- Factors that are influencing educational institutions’ decisions to select an ICT provider
- The growing preference of smartphone apps, laptops, and iPads among students and teachers, as a means to collaborate and learn is encouraging institutions to increase their spend on client computing devices and sophisticated software.
- In addition, a majority of educational institutions are currently investing in IoT solutions to automate tasks and enhance student reach or access to information.
- Moreover, educational institutions are placing the highest importance to factors such as expertise in industry, price, financial stability, problem identification/consultation, breadth of offerings, and leading-edge technology for choosing their ICT vendors.
- Understand how the educational institutions ICT landscape is set to change in 2017 to prioritize your target market
- Comprehend how ICT money are being allocated by educational institutions in specific geographies and size bands to improve your market penetration
- Make effective business decisions by recognizing the opportunities within each of the core areas of ICT spend (hardware, software, IT services, telecommunications, and consulting)
- Realign your sales initiatives by understanding the current strategic objectives of educational institutions
- Enhance your market segmentation with the included, detailed breakdown of opportunities within selected technology categories (security products, content management, IoT, and cloud computing)
- Prioritize your focus areas by understanding which factors are influencing educational institutions’ decisions when selecting an ICT provider
- Understand the changes in customers’ priorities and identify the business objectives that educational institutions are looking to achieve through their ICT investment strategies
Key implications for ICT vendors
ICT budget changes
ICT budget allocation by core technology area
Hardware budget breakdown
Software budget breakdown
Third-party IT services expenditure
Cloud computing budget
ICT budget allocation by function
Outsourced IT functions
ICT investment priorities and vendor satisfaction
Internet of Things (IoT)
Business objectives influencing IT investment strategy
ICT provider selection
Key decision makers for purchasing technology
Sector specific trends
IT expenditure plans for specific technology areas
Technology areas receiving the largest investments