"ICT Investment Trends in the Media Industry", report presents the findings from a survey of 143 media companies regarding their Information & Communications Technology (ICT) investment trends. The survey investigates how media companies currently allocate their ICT budgets across the core areas of enterprise ICT expenditure: hardware, software, IT services, communications, and consulting.
The report illustrates the core technologies that enterprises are investing in, including IoT, cloud computing, security products, and mobility management. The survey also highlights the approach to purchasing technology adopted by media companies. Through the author’s survey, the report aims to provide a better insight to ICT vendors and service providers when pitching their solutions to media companies. The report focuses on media companies’ ICT expenditure trends for specific business areas and technologies, identifying the top three IT projects, and understanding the primary objectives of various systems components.
2017 is seeing growing demand for streaming content, with video-on-demand (VoD) viewership increasing among millennials who now prefer to watch shows on streaming sites and on their mobile devices rather than on television. This is compelling media companies to bundle and disseminate content in various innovative ways, thereby creating new revenue streams and opportunities for better content creation and delivery.
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
- How ICT budgets are set to change in 2017 in terms of their overall size
- Allocation across the core elements of IT spend, including hardware, software, services, communications, and consulting
- Distribution of ICT money in areas such as the networks, applications, service desk, and data centers
- Which ICT functions media enterprises are interested in outsourcing
- Media enterprises’ investment priorities based on their budget allocations across core technology categories such as IoT, cloud computing, security products, and mobility management
- Factors that are influencing media enterprises’ investments in each technology category
- How media enterprises’ IT budgets are currently allocated across various segments within a technology category
- Media enterprises’ distribution of their ICT budget across various segments within a technology category
- Vendor satisfaction ratings for various core and advanced technology categories
- Insight into media enterprises’ preferred buying approaches
- Business objectives that media enterprises are looking to achieve through their IT investment strategies
- Factors that are influencing media enterprises’ decisions to select an ICT provider
- Media companies allocated a major proportion of their average software budget to software licenses to bolster the performance of applications and delivery models.
- Moreover, a major proportion of media companies are currently investing in IoT solutions, especially around transmission, cloud, and range enhancement in order to help advertisers deliver better content and enhance customer experiences.
- In addition, media companies are placing the highest importance on the criteria of leading-edge technology, financial stability, and problem identification/consultation for selecting an ICT provider.
- Understand how the media enterprises ICT landscape is set to change in 2017 to prioritize your target market
- Comprehend how ICT money are being allocated by media enterprises in specific geographies and size bands to improve your market penetration
- Make effective business decisions by recognizing the opportunities within each of the core areas of ICT spend (hardware, software, IT services, telecommunications, and consulting)
- Realign your sales initiatives by understanding the current strategic objectives of media enterprises
- Enhance your market segmentation with the included, detailed breakdown of opportunities within selected technology categories (IoT, cloud computing, security products, and mobility management)
- Prioritize your focus areas by understanding which factors are influencing media enterprises’ decisions when selecting an ICT provider
- Understand the changes in customers’ priorities and identify the business objectives that media enterprises are looking to achieve through their ICT investment strategies
Key implications for ICT vendors
ICT budget changes
ICT budget allocation by core technology area
Hardware budget breakdown
Software budget breakdown
Third party IT services expenditure
Cloud computing budget
ICT budget allocation by function
Outsourced IT functions
ICT investment priorities and vendor satisfaction
Internet of Things (IoT)
Business objectives influencing IT investment strategy
ICT provider selection
Key decision makers for purchasing technology
Sector specific trends
IT expenditure plans for various technology areas
Technology areas receiving the largest investments
Primary objectives of various systems components