"ICT Investment Trends in South Korea", presents the findings from a survey of 95 South Korean enterprises regarding their Information & Communications Technology (ICT) investment trends. The survey investigates how South Korean enterprises currently allocate their ICT budgets across the core areas of enterprise ICT expenditure: hardware, software, IT services, communications, and consulting.
The report illustrates the core technologies that enterprises are investing in, including security services, IoT, cloud computing, and green IT & virtualization. The survey also highlights the approach to purchasing technology adopted by enterprises in South Korea. Through the author’s survey, the report aims to provide a better insight to ICT vendors and service providers when pitching their solutions to enterprises in South Korea.
Amidst the security threats from North Korea, the South Korean economy continues to witness strong growth as the newly formed government is encouraging technological infrastructure advancement. The survey shows that a majority of South Korean enterprises are willing to increase their ICT expenditure in 2017, and are allocating the highest proportion of their ICT budgets to the core domains of hardware and software. The survey further shows that South Korean enterprises are allocating the highest proportion of their cloud budgets to the public cloud in order to achieve higher scalability on demand.
In particular, it provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
- How ICT budgets are set to change in 2017 in terms of their overall size
- Allocation across the core elements of IT spend, including hardware, software, services, communications, and consulting
- Distribution of ICT money in areas such as the networks, applications, service desk, and data centers
- Which ICT functions South Korean enterprises are interested in outsourcing
- South Korean enterprises’ investment priorities based on their budget allocations across core technology categories such as security services, IoT, cloud computing, and green IT & virtualization
- Factors that are influencing South Korean enterprises’ investments in each technology category
- How South Korean enterprises’ IT budgets are currently allocated across various segments within a technology category
- South Korean enterprises’ distribution of their ICT budget across various segments within a technology category
- Vendor satisfaction ratings for various core and advanced technology categories
- Insight into South Korean enterprises’ preferred buying approaches
- Business objectives that South Korean enterprises are looking to achieve through their IT investment strategies
- Factors that are influencing South Korean enterprises’ decisions to select an ICT provider
- The South Korean government’s strategy to migrate its public agencies’ infrastructure onto private cloud servers is set to generate demand for cloud and hosting services providers.
- According to the author’s survey, a high proportion of respondents are planning to increase their total ICT budget in 2017, with enterprises investing in next generation networks and blockchain technologies.
- As the government is planning to focus on the growth of intelligent IoT and smart cars, IoT vendors need to further innovate to gain differentiation in the market.
- Understand how the South Korean enterprise ICT landscape is set to change in 2017 to prioritize your target market
- Comprehend how ICT money are being allocated by South Korean enterprises in specific verticals and size bands to improve your market penetration
- Make effective business decisions by recognizing the opportunities within each of the core areas of ICT spend (hardware, software, IT services, telecommunications, and consulting)
- Realign your sales initiatives by understanding the current strategic objectives of South Korean enterprises
- Enhance your market segmentation with the included, detailed breakdown of opportunities within selected technology categories (security services, IoT, cloud computing, and green IT & virtualization)
- Prioritize your focus areas by understanding which factors are influencing South Korean enterprises’ decisions when selecting an ICT provider
- Understand the changes in customers’ priorities and identify the business objectives that South Korean enterprises are looking to achieve through their ICT investment strategies
Key implications for ICT vendors
ICT budget changes
ICT budget allocation by core technology area
Hardware budget breakdown
Software budget breakdown
Third party IT services expenditure
Cloud computing budget
ICT budget allocation by function
Outsourced IT functions
ICT investment priorities and vendor satisfaction
Internet of Things (IoT)
Green IT & virtualization
Business objectives influencing IT investment strategy
ICT provider selection
Key decision makers for purchasing technology