Big Data Analytics and Software Defined Networking (SDN) are helping to drive the management of data and usage of the extraordinary increase of computer processing power provided by Cloud Data Centres (CDCs). SDN helps CDCs run their services more efficiently by enabling managers to configure, manage, secure, and optimize the network resources very quickly. Big-Data Analytics in turn has entered CDCs to harvest the massive computing powers and deduct information that was never reachable by conventional methods.
Big Data and Software Defined Networks investigates areas where Big-Data and SDN can help each other in delivering more efficient services. SDN can help Big-Data applications overcome one of their major challenges: message passing among cooperative nodes. Through proper bandwidth allocation and prioritization, critical surges of Big-Data flows can be better handled to effectively reduce their impacts on CDCs. Big-Data, in turn, can help SDN controllers better analyze collected network information and make more efficient decisions about the allocation of resources to different network flows.
- Chapter 1: Introduction to SDN
- Chapter 2: SDN implementations and protocols
- Chapter 3: SDN components and OpenFlow
- Chapter 4: SDN for cloud data centres
- Chapter 5: Introduction to big data
- Chapter 6: Big Data processing using Apache Spark and Hadoop
- Chapter 7: Big Data stream data processing
- Chapter 8: Big Data in cloud data centers
- Part II: How SDN helps Big Data
- Chapter 9: SDN helps volume in Big Data
- Chapter 10: SDN helps velocity in Big Data
- Chapter 11: SDN helps value in Big Data
- Chapter 12: SDN helps other Vs in Big Data
- Chapter 13: SDN helps Big Data to optimize storage
- Chapter 14: SDN helps Big Data to optimize access to data
- Chapter 15: SDN helps Big Data to become fault tolerant
- Part III: How Big Data helps SDN
- Chapter 16: How Big Data helps SDN with data protection and privacy
- Chapter 17: Big Data helps SDN to detect intrusions and secure data flows
- Chapter 18: Big Data helps SDN to manage traffic
- Chapter 19: Big Data helps SDN to optimize its controllers
- Chapter 20: Big Data helps SDN to verify integrity of control/data planes
- Chapter 21: Big Data helps SDN to improve application specific quality of service
Karlstad University, Department of Computer Science, Sweden.
Javid Taheri is an Associate Professor at the Department of Computer Science, Karlstad University, Sweden where his research interests include networking, optimization, parallel/distributed computing, and cloud computing. He holds a Ph.D. in Information Technologies (2007), from the School of Information Technologies, The University of Sydney, Australia.