Global Smart Textiles For Military Market - Segmented by Purpose (Sensing, Energy Harvest, Thermal, Luminescence, Protection & Mobility and Healing), Type (Active Smart, Passive Smart and Ultra Smart), Geography - Market forecasts and Analysis (2018-2023)
The smart textiles market in military is expected to register compound annual growth rate of 13.45% in the forecast period till 2022. Smart textiles aim to reduce the weight of the electronic gadgets, battery pack and connecting cables to improve survivability of soldier at war fields.
Thermal vests with automatic temperature control can be built at home for costs as low as $30-$40. But the Thermal vests worn by soldiers in the front line need to be bullet proof, robust, flexible but hard and durable as they can decide life and death in much more challenging conditions.
The smart vests have replaced tangible wires, reduced the need for battery and reduced the chances of gadget failure up-to 50% by adding redundancy. This has saved at least 40% cost on protective vests procurement and maintenance. Additionally, a smart vest connected to sensors can help in targeting enemy, avoiding traps, tracking friendly and in providing emergency healing.
The next war will see soldiers with almost equal firepower, the only factor that will decide victory is the protective vest worn by survivors. Armies have been funding the development of smart vest that can improve the soldier’s mobility, speed and performance or make them invisible, since early 1970s. Success is still far but the recent developments can still tilt the balance in favour of the smart vests in a war situation.
In April 2016, University of Massachusetts and Institute for Soldier Nanotechnology was granted $75 million by the US Department of Defence, for development of smart textiles and additional funds amounting to a total of 242 million was provide by the participating states and private organisations as a partnership in developing Advanced Functional Fibres.
Indian Army, the second largest in the world needs 18.6 million modular bullet proof jackets, and is open for tenders for 10 years. This offers a great market opportunity for military textile vendor to explore and produce in house capabilities and products for soldiers. The budget allocated for this procurement is about $150 million, with provisions for a vest modernisation program. If India succeeds in acquiring smart vests for its soldiers, then the nations surrounding it will be in a race to procure the same due to a power battle in the region. Asia Pacific market will be the largest market for these vests, but North America, Europe and South America will be major investors. Asia Pacific market lacks the technology and funds to mass produce such vests due to developing economies, but cheaper labour and lower taxes can be boon for OEM ventures in Asia Pacific.
The key players in the smart textiles for military market are BAE Systems, Intelligent Textiles Ltd and Textronics Ltd ITL is the current supplier of smart vests to the US Defence forces. A number of non-military OEMs are shifting focus towards supplying military grade smart textiles. But it will need them a decade of experience and expertise to serve any important military tender.
The Market for Smart Textiles for Military is segmented by Purpose (Sensing, Energy Harvest, Thermal, Luminescence, Protection & Mobility and Healing), Type (Active Smart, Passive Smart and Ultra Smart) Geography (North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific)
What the report offers:
- Market analysis of Global Smart Textiles for Military Market with specific assessments and competition analysis on global and regional scales
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers, opportunities and restraints
- Expert interviews and their insights on market shift, current and future outlook and factors impacting vendors short term and long term strategies
- Global Smart Textiles for Military Market, forecasts from 2015-2020
- Global Smart Textiles for Military Market segmentation by Purpose, forecasts from 2015-2020
- Global Smart Textiles for Military Market segmentation by Types, forecasts from 2015-2020
- Global Smart Textiles for Military Market by Geography, forecasts from 2015-2020
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenarios, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market shares
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the Global Smart Textiles for Military Market on both global and regional scales
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market
- Insights on the major countries in which this industry is blooming and to also identify the regions that are still untapped
Who should read this report?
- Military Smart Textiles OEMs
- Anyone within the value chain
- CEO’s, COO’s, Strategic Growth and Business Development Managers
- Defense & Government Policy makers
- Research Institutes and Organizations
- Market Research and Consulting firms
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 Key Findings of the Study
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. MARKET OVERVIEW AND TRENDS
3.2 Market Trends
3.3 Porters Five Force Framework
3.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.3.5 Competitve rivalry within the Industry
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
5. GLOBAL SMART TEXTILES FOR MILITARY MARKET, SEGMENTED BY PURPOSE
5.2 Energy Harvest
5.5 Protection & Mobility
6. GLOBAL SMART TEXTILES FOR MILITARY MARKET, SEGMENTED BY TYPES
6.1 Active Smart
6.2 Passive Smart
6.3 Ultra Smart
7. GLOBAL SMART TEXTILES FOR MILITARY MARKET, SEGMENTED BY GEOGRAPHY
7.1 North America
7.1.1 United States
7.2 South America
7.3 Asia Pacific
7.4.1 United Kingdom
7.5 Africa and Middle East
7.5.3 South Africa
8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
8.2 Market Share Analysis
8.3 Developments of Key Players
9. KEY VENDOR ANALYSIS (Overview, Products & Services, Strategies)
9.1 Globe Manufacturing Company
9.2 BAE systems
9.3 Intelligent Textiles Ltd.
9.5 Lockheed Martin Corp.
9.6 Gentherm Inc
9.7 Schoeller Technologies AG
9.8 Texas Instruments Inc
9.9 E.I. DuPont De Nemours and Co.
9.10 Milliken & Company
9.11 Ohmatex ApS (Denmark)
9.12 Outlast Technologies LLC
9.13 Koninklijke Ten Cate nv
9.14 Noble Biomaterials Inc.
10. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
- Globe Manufacturing Company
- Bae Systems
- Intelligent Textiles Ltd.
- Lockheed Martin Corp.
- Gentherm Inc
- Schoeller Technologies Ag
- Texas Instruments Inc
- E.I. Dupont De Nemours and Co.
- Milliken & Company
- Ohmatex Aps (Denmark)
- Outlast Technologies Llc
- Koninklijke Ten Cate Nv
- Noble Biomaterials Inc.