In 2015, the United States had private labels promoted by leading retail vendors of cooking and salad oils. Their sales amounted to almost USD 750 million in the same year. Organic oils and fats have found their place in the competitive environment. Vegetable oils are a healthier alternative as they contain more unsaturated fatty acids than animal fats. A recent survey revealed that olive oil, vegetable oil, and pure canola oil are most frequently used in households for preparing salads or cooking.
Changing dietary habits, improving living standards, and increasing consumer preference for healthy edible oils are factors expected to drive the growth of the North American edible oils market during the forecast period. The increasing number of health-conscious consumers and growing awareness about food contents with trans-fats, partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs) that are responsible for various chronic diseases, and cholesterol are the factors fueling demand for edible oils. Edible oil manufacturers are adopting new processing techniques, like cold pressinare, and are introducing new edible oil products in the market that are healthier and have a balanced fatty acid profile.
The North American fats and oil market has been segmented by source type, application, and geography. In North America, olive oil dominates the pourable oil category with a 37% share. The success of the olive oil sales reflects the consumers understanding of the oil as a healthy choice and that the oil contains good fats and cancer-fighting polyphenols. Olive oil is safe and effective for high-temperature cooking, such as frying and sautéing, it can even be used for baking. Its wide variety of potential uses make olive oil a product that can be promoted to an array of store consumers.
The US has the highest consumption of fats and oils in North America, followed by Canada and Mexico. The consumption of olive oil in US comes mostly from California. In 2015, the country generated sales amounting to almost USD 750 million. In Canada, canola oil is a huge business, with 90% of their produce exported. Canola oil consumption of Canada, in 2014, was 789,900-tons, out of 1.27 million tons of total vegetable oil consumption.
- January 2017 - Bunge has announced plans to build a soybean processing plant to expand its production capacity in the Eastern part of the United States. Locations, such as Ohio and Indiana, are under final consideration for the new facility.
- May 2017 - ConAgra Foods has struck a USD 285 million deal to sell its Wesson edible oil to J. M Smucker in the process of re-engineering its portfolio.
- March 2017 - Cargill, in partnership with Wild Asia, has helped 141 independent oil palm smallholder farmers in Perak to receive the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) certification under the Wild Asia Group Scheme (WAGS).
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porters five forces analysis
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors, which are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative & quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic & non-economic aspects
- Regional and Country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Approach and Methodology
2.2 Research Design
2.3 Study Timelines
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering & Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. Market Overview
3.1 Market Dynamics
126.96.36.199 Increase in Consumption of Olive Oil
188.8.131.52 Hike in Consumption of Processed Foods and Confectionery
184.108.40.206 Use of Novel Approaches
220.127.116.11 Health Maintenance
18.104.22.168 Adulteration of Fats & Oil Products
22.214.171.124 Emerging Applications of Fats & Oils as Substitutes of Trans-fats
126.96.36.199 Biotechnological Intervention
3.1.4 Porters Five Forces Analysis
188.8.131.52 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
184.108.40.206 Bargaining Power of Buyers
220.127.116.11 Threat of New Entrants
18.104.22.168 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
22.214.171.124 Degree of Competition
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Type
4.1.1 Chemical Structure
126.96.36.199 Saturated Fats
188.8.131.52 Unsaturated Fats
184.108.40.206.1 Dietary Requirement
220.127.116.11.2 Essential Fats
4.1.2 Non-Essential Fats
4.2 By Source
4.2.1 Vegetable Oil
18.104.22.168 Palm Oil
22.214.171.124 Soybean Oil
126.96.36.199 Sunflower Oil
188.8.131.52 Cotton Oil
184.108.40.206 Coconut Oil
4.2.2 Oilseed Oil
220.127.116.11 Linseed Oil
18.104.22.168 Sesame Oil
22.214.171.124 Castor Oil
4.2.3 Animal Oil
4.3 By Application
126.96.36.199 Bakery & Confectionary
188.8.131.52 Processed Foods
184.108.40.206 Lubricants and Greases
4.4 By Geography
4.4.1 North America
220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Strategy Adopted by Key Players
5.2 Most Active Companies
5.3 Market Share Analysis
6. Company Profiles
6.2 Ag Processing Inc.
6.3 Arista Industries
6.4 Bunge Limited
6.5 Cargill Incorporated
6.6 CBS Food Products Corp.
6.7 ConAgra Foods
6.8 Ingredion Incorporated
6.9 NOF Group
6.10 Polar Foods International, Inc.
6.12 Sunora Foods
- Ag Processing Inc.
- Arista Industries
- Bunge Limited
- Cargill Incorporated
- CBS Food Products Corp.
- ConAgra Foods
- Ingredion Incorporated
- NOF Group
- Polar Foods International Inc.
- Sunora Foods