This volume is inspired by the works of Paulo Freire who believed that all interactions between people are pedagogical: something is always being taught, conveyed, and proselytized (the same could be said of evaluation). Freirean principles, though articulated nearly 50 years ago, offer and affirm future directions for dealing with inequality, poverty, social injustice, community development, education, and, to the point here, evaluation. The principles remain fresh and timely, and new.
Divided into three parts, the editors invite you to use Freire’s works to reflect on your pedagogy of evaluation.
- Contemporaries of Paulo Freire present his pedagogy
- Pedagogical principles of evaluation derived from Freire
- Freire’s current evaluation influence illustrated
This is the 155th issue in the New Directions for Evaluation series from Jossey–Bass. It is an official publication of the American Evaluation Association.
Editor s Notes 9
Michael Quinn Patton
Part 1. Contemporaries of Paulo Freire Present His Pedagogy
1. The Global Impact of Freire s Pedagogy 17Moacir Gadotti
2. Freirean Pedagogy in Street Education: Unveiling the Impact on Street Children in Brazil 31Thereza Penna Firme, Vathsala Iyengar Stone
Part 2. Pedagogical Principles of Evaluation Derived from Freire
3. Pedagogical Principles of Evaluation: Interpreting Freire 49Michael Quinn Patton
4. Pedagogy in Process Applied to Evaluation: Learning from Paulo Freire s Work in Guinea–Bissau 79Thomaz K. Chianca, Claudius Ceccon
Part 3. Freire s Current Evaluation Influence Illustrated
5. Transformative Pedagogical Evaluation: Freirean Principles Practiced in Brazilian Public Schools 99Vilma Guimaraes
6. Transformative Empowerment Evaluation and Freirean Pedagogy: Alignment With an Emancipatory Tradition 111David Fetterman
Michael Quinn Patton, founder and director of Utilization–Focused Evaluation, has over 45 years of experience as an independent evaluation consultant.
Leslie A. Fierro, Claremont Graduate University
Todd M. Franke, University of California Los Angeles