United Arab Emirates’ population will reach an estimated 9.4m by the end of 2017. UAE’s population is expected to grow at a CAGR of 1.4% to reach 10.1m by the end of 2022. UAE’s nominal GDP will reach an estimated US$399.9bn in 2017, the fourth largest in the region, and will increase at a 7.3% CAGR to $567.5bn by 2022. Growth will be driven by investment projects, stronger performance in the non-oil sector, the hosting of the 2020 World Expo and the increase in oil production capacity from 2018.
UAE’s telecom and pay-TV services market will register $9.3bn in 2017; an increase of 4.0% over 2016 led by mobile data and fixed broadband. Both segments will also drive total revenue expansion at a 3.8% CAGR over 2017-2022.
Mobile data revenue will expand at a CAGR of 8.5% over the forecast period given the rising adoption of 4G/LTE services, the growing proliferation of smartphones and the increasing consumption of high-bandwidth content such as video and social media on mobile devices.
Mobile voice revenue will decline during the forecast period due to more affordable voice rates, enabled by competitive packages from operators and substitution of traditional circuit-switched services with OTT-calling solutions and growing adoption of multi-play services with integrated telephony services. The fixed broadband segment will be driven by operator investments in high-speed fiber broadband services.
The report "United Arab Emirates: Country Intelligence Report", provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in the United Arab Emirates today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Moreover, this report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, fixed broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
In particular, this report provides the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in the United Arab Emirates.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, fixed broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- Overall telecom and pay-TV services revenue in the United Arab Emirates will grow at a CAGR of 3.8% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 61.9% of total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of 4G services.
- Etisalat is expected to maintain its leadership in UAE’s mobile market subscriptions in 2017, followed by Du. Both operators support the country’s digital agenda and compete on the basis of network expansions/upgrades, competitively priced offers and innovative services.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of the United Arab Emirates’s telecommunications market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the United Arab Emirates’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in the United Arab Emirates’s telecommunications market.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in the United Arab Emirates.
Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
Demographic and macroeconomic context
Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
Total telecom service revenue
Mobile services market
Fixed services market
Pay-TV services market
Competitive landscape and company snapshots
Baseline forecast assumptions
About the authors
Country Intelligence Report coverage