Fuel consumption in Sweden decreased by 2.4% in 2016 compared to the previous year; as fuel prices continued to rise, the price of petrol in 2016 rose by 18.9%, and diesel prices grew by 19.5%. The value of fuel sales increased for the first time in three years in 2016 rising by 16.4%. However, fuel consumption is expected to only decline 8.4% towards 2022 as motorists invest in increasingly fuel efficient vehicles over this period.
In 2016, two of the top five fuel retailers, expanded their service station networks. The total number of service stations in Sweden increased by 0.7%. OKQ8 has the largest service station network, at 712 sites, amounting to 25.7% of the national network. The top five fuel retailers -OKQ8, Preem, Circle K, INGO and Q-Star accounted for 72.4% of service stations in Sweden in 2016.
25.5% of service stations in Sweden feature a car wash. The total number of service stations with a car wash in Sweden increased by 7.6% as retailers invested in these facilities. Circle K has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, amounting to 42.3% of the national network. OKQ8 is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 46.1% of its 712 sites featuring a shop. The top five fuel retailers in Sweden accounts for 84.6% of service stations with a car wash in the country.
The report "Service Station Retailing in Sweden 2017", provides an executive-level overview of the Swedish service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
Companies mentioned in this report: OKQ8, Preem, Circle K, St1, Q-Star, INGO, Shell, Din-X, Bilisten.
- Total fuel consumption in Sweden decreased by 2.4% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- OKQ8 has the largest service station network, at 712 sites, amounting to 25.7% of the national network.
- The top five fuel retailers in Sweden accounted for 86.4% of the number of service station shops in the country.
- The total number of service stations with a car wash in Sweden increased by 7.6% to 709 sites as retailers invested in these facilities.
- Identify who are the top five players in Sweden and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as increasing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Market Size - OKQ8
Market Size - Circle K
Market Size - Preem
Market Size - INGO (Circle K)
Market Size - Shell (St1)
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Shops - OKQ8
Service Station Shops - Circle K
Service Station Shops - Preem
Service Station Shops - Shell (St1)
Service Station Car Wash Network
Service Station Car Wash - OKQ8
Service Station Car Wash - Circle K
Service Station Car Wash - Preem
Service Station Car Wash - Shell (St1)