Total fuel consumption in Finland increased by 1.9% in 2016 compared to the previous year. Volume sales of petrol decreased in 2016 by 1.1% to 1,990 Million liters. Diesel consumption is increased by 5.2% to 1,881 Million liters. Fuel prices continued to decline in Finland, the price of petrol in 2016 dropped by 3.1%, and diesel prices fell by 2.5%. The value of fuel sales continued to decline for a third year in 2016 falling by 1.3% to €5,002.5m.
As of 2016, 43.4% of service stations in Finland featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a shop declined by 3.7% about 835 sites. The top five fuel retailers in Finland accounted for 87.3% of the number of service station shops in the country. Neste is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 70.0% of its 470 sites featuring a shop. 39.4% of all service station sites with a shop are Neste branded.
28.6% of service stations in Finland feature a car wash. The total number of service stations with a car washes in Finland marginally decreased by 0.6% to 550 sites. Neste has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, at 201 sites, amounting to 36.5% of the national network. Of the top five players, ABC was the only top five retailers that increased its number of sites with a car wash, as it invested in automated wash facilities at its unmanned sites.
In 2016, two of the top five fuel retailers, expanded their service station networks. The top five fuel retailers -Neste, ABC, Teboil (LUKOIL), St1 and Shell (St1) accounted for 88.4% of service stations in Finland in 2016.
The report "Service Station Retailing in Finland 2017", provides an executive-level overview of the Finnish service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
Companies mentioned in this report: Neste. ABC, Teboil (LUKOIL), St1, Shell, SEO.
- Total fuel consumption in Finland increased by 1.9% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- Neste has the largest service station network, at 470 sites, amounting to 24.4% of the national network.
- The top five fuel retailers in Finland accounted for 87.3% of the number of service station shops in the country.
- The total number of service stations with a car wash in Finland marginally decreased by 0.6% to 550 sites.
- Identify who are the top five players in Finland and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as increasing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
Service Station Market Overview
Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
Market Size - Neste
Market Size - ABC
Market Size - Teboil (LUKOIL)
Market Size - St1
Market Size - Shell (St1)
Service Station Shop Network
Service Station Shops - Neste
Service Station Shops - ABC
Service Station Shops - Teboil (LUKOIL)
Service Station Shops - St1
Service Station Shops - Shell (St1)
Service Station Car Wash Network
Service Station Car Wash - Neste
Service Station Car Wash - ABC
Service Station Car Wash - Teboil (LUKOIL)
Service Station Car Wash - St1
Service Station Car Wash - Shell (St1)