The burgeoning middle and upper class population, increasing pet ownership, along with increased awareness about pet health has given rise to the pet food market in India. According to our research, the pet food market in India is expected to grow at a CAGR of 19.2% to reach INR 43.5 trillion from its value of INR 15.2 trillion in 2016. The dog food segment contributes the most to the pet food revenue compared to other pet foods such as cat and fish food. Pedigree and Royal Canin are the most preferred brands among pet owners.
Key growth factors
There has been a paradigm shift towards pet diet, health, and grooming. With changing lifestyles, pet owners are willing to spend more on quality pet products, such as ready-to-eat food and treats to provide healthy nutrition to their pets. India has also witnessed a rise in pet adoptions, which has led to subsequent increase in demand for pet food. Social networking sites have also played a key role in boosting pet adoption and indirectly giving a push to the pet food market in India. Pet food in India is easily available in physical as well as in online stores.
Threats and key players
With the implementation of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) the prices of pet food, including imported and Indian brands, have become more expensive. Pet food packs, which were earlier charged at around 14.5% VAT/CST, now attract 18% GST. While imported pet food will cost the same, Indian brands might need to increase prices to mitigate the tax burden. Some of the key players operating in the global pet food market include Agro Food Industries Pvt. Ltd., Avanti Overseas Pvt. Ltd., Venky's (India) Ltd. and Mars International India Pvt. Ltd.
What's covered in the report?
- Overview of the pet food market and market size data for the period FY 2014 to FY 2022
- Trade analysis of pet food in India
- Qualitative analysis of the major drivers and challenges affecting the pet food market
- Analysis of the competitive landscape and profiles of major public and private players operating in the market
- Key recent developments in the Indian pet food market
- Future outlook for the Indian pet food market
- Get a broad understanding of the pet food market in India, the dynamics of the market and the current state of the industry
- Devise market-entry strategies by understanding the factors driving the growth of the market
- Recognize major competitors' business and market dynamics, and respond accordingly
Slide 2: Total Population (2010-2011 - 2019-2020), Population Density (2010-2011 - 2019-2020)
Slide 3: Sex Ratio (2005, 2010, 2015, 2020), Population by Age Group (2005, 2010, 2015, 2020), Urbanization Trend (2010-2011 - 2019-2020)
Slide 4: Total Fertility Rate (2005-2010, 2010-2015, 2015-2020), Infant Mortality Rate (2005-2010, 2010-2015, 2015-2020), Total Number of Births (2005-2010, 2010-2015, 2015-2020), Total Number of Death (2005-2010, 2010-2015, 2015-2020)
Slide 5: Total Literacy Rate (2001, 2011), Rural Literacy (2001, 2011), Urban Literacy (2001, 2011)
Slide 6: GDP at Market Prices (2012-2017), FDI (2012-2016), Inflation Rate (2011-2017), Unemployment Rate (2012-2016)
Slide 7: Access to Safe Drinking Water (2001, 2011), Exchange Rate (2010-2016)
Slide 8: Market Definition & Structure
Slide 9: Global Pet Food - Market Overview, Market Size and Growth (2015 - 2020e), Global Market Segmentation -Type of Pet (2016) and Global Market Segmentation - Region-wise (2016)
Slide 10: Pet Food Market in India - Market Overview, Market Size and Growth (FY 2014 - FY 2022e)
Slide 11: Market Segmentation - Player-Wise Segmentation (2015) and Pet Population - Dog vs Others (2013)
Slide 12: Pet Food Market - Distribution Channel
Slide 13: Porter's Five Forces Analysis
Slide 14: Export of Dog or Cat Food for Retail Sale (Value-Wise; FY 2013 - FY 2017) and (Volume-wise; FY 2013 - FY 2017.
Slide 15: Export of Dog or Cat Food for Retail Sale - Country-Wise Segmentation (Value-Wise; FY 2016 and FY 2017) and (Volume-Wise; FY 2016 and FY 2017)
Slide 16: Import of Dog or Cat Food for Retail Sale (Value-Wise; FY 2013 - FY 2017) and (Volume-wise; FY 2013 - FY 2017.
Slide 17: Import of Dog or Cat Food for Retail Sale - Country-Wise Segmentation (Value-Wise; FY 2016 and FY 2017) and (Volume-Wise; FY 2016 and FY 2017)
Slide 18-19: Market Drivers
Slide 20: Market Challenges
Slide 21: List of Major Players
Slide 22-33: Profiles of Major Players
Slide 34: Key Recent Developments
Slide 35: Research Methodology
- Agro Food Industries Pvt. Ltd.
- Avanti Overseas Pvt. Ltd.
- Bharat International Pet Foods Pvt. Ltd.
- Cuddleup Diet Products Pvt. Ltd.
- Doggie Dabbas
- Frigorifico Allana Pvt. Ltd.
- Gitwako Farms (I) Pvt. Ltd.
- Khanal Foods Pvt. Ltd.
- Mars International India Pvt. Ltd.
- Venky's (India) Ltd.