Key Growth Opportunities in the UK include data sharing and interoperability, cloud, mobility, as well as further new investment in core health IT solutions to best meet the needs of providers in a changing market environment. However, the identification of these Growth Opportunities is only the first step towards succeeding as a vendor in this market. The real demystification lies in understanding very specific target-customer needs and then building a value proposition that addresses those needs.
UK, Germany, France and Spain collectively spend over $6 billion on healthcare IT and the regional HCIT adoption stands at almost 80%. The focus of key decision makers in the region will shift from healthcare IT solutions that can capture data to solutions that can enable data sharing and clinical decision support.
Between December 2016 and March 2017, the publisher conducted a survey of IT managers from 198 hospitals across Western European countries. Findings of the survey were further investigated through in-depth discussions with market vendors and industry thought leaders. Outcomes of the research have been collated into a 4-part series detailing the HCIT landscape across EU4 (The United Kingdom, Germany, France and Spain).
Our research found that in spite of a high level of EMR adoption only a little more than 15% of large hospitals share data beyond their organization. This has been a huge detriment to efficient and productive health data utilization across all countries included in this study. However, with changing care paradigms, such as focus on patient-centricity, innovation in care delivery models and the demand for workflow efficiency, improving health data continuity will be a key goal for both governments and providers over the next five years. As a result, interoperability, and standards development and adoption will be major priorities across health systems.
Overall, the healthcare IT market in the UK will be driven by eHealth initiatives, changing procurement landscape and emerging digital health platforms that increase collaboration between care segments, enable patient centricity, and encourage high resource utilisation at optimised costs.
Vendors will have to consistently demonstrate their core competence by offering hospitals sustainable business models, centred on improved connectivity, accessibility and interoperability of healthcare. Emerging technologies such as cloud, healthcare business intelligence and data analytics will be in demand.
This is only a sample of insights that you can gain through our research. Key questions answered in this study include:
- What are the current trends, challenges and drivers for healthcare IT investment?
- What will be the most promising growth opportunities and key investment areas over the next five years?
- How is health IT adoption evolving?
- What will be the impact and adoption of new technologies? How will these change current industry paradigms and/or bring in new business models?
- How are the initiatives at the national and the regional level for eHealth adoption impacting the market?
- What are the current vendor landscape and the tiers of competition in select segments (e.g., Total Health IT, EHR, PCIS)? How are they expected to evolve over the next five years?
- What do healthcare providers expect when investing in healthcare IT and how has this evolved over the years?
- What is the forecast for hospital Health IT in the UK until 2021?
1. Executive Summary
- Market Snapshot
- Scope and Segmentation
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Hospital HCIT Survey-Respondents’ Profile
- Growth Opportunities in the UK Healthcare IT Market
- CEO’s Perspective
2. Market Analysis of Healthcare IT in the UK
- Market Background
- Market Definition and Segmentation
- Healthcare IT Market Analysis-Top 4 Markets in Europe
- Macro-Level Trends Driving Care Delivery Transformation
- Drivers for Healthcare IT Adoption in the UK
- Healthcare IT Market Analysis - Adoption
- Hospital Healthcare IT Market in the UK-Revenue Forecast
- Hospital HCIT Market in the UK-Revenue Forecast Discussion
- Primary Care HCIT Market in the UK-Major Trends
3. Government Initiatives Driving Healthcare IT Adoption in the UK
- Overview of the Healthcare Landscape in the UK
- Healthcare IT Landscape-Government Initiatives
- Healthcare IT Landscape-Future Plans & Initiatives
4. Competitive Landscape
- Key Findings-Notable Vendor Activities
- Key Vendors Overview-Tiers of Competition
- Electronic Health Records-Market Share and Position
- Primary Care Information System-Market Share and Position
- ePrescribing/Pharmacy Information Systems (PhIS)-Market Share and Position
- Strategic Imperatives for Healthcare IT Vendors in the UK
5. End-user Analysis-Hospital HCIT Usage and Adoption Trends
- End-user Analysis-Adoption of Hospital HCIT Solutions
- End-user Analysis-Hospital HCIT Budgeting Trends
- End-user Analysis-Hospitals’ EMR Readiness
- End-user Analysis-Future Trends on Replacement and Upgrades of IT Systems
- End-user Analysis-Analyst Insight on the UK Hospital HCIT Market
6. The Last Word
- Factors Influencing the Future of Healthcare IT in the UK
- Key Conclusions and Recommendations
- Legal Disclaimer
- Relevant Studies
- Abbreviations and Acronyms Used