Leonardo SpA (Leonardo) is a global high technology player in the aerospace, defense and security sectors. It designs and manufactures helicopters, defense and security electronic systems, civil and military aircraft, aero structures, satellites, space infrastructure and defense systems. Some of its major products include unmanned aerial systems, multi-mission transport aircraft, naval combat systems, radar systems, optronics systems, communication systems, air and maritime traffic control systems and mobility solutions.
These premium company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading defence and security companies. The reports detail company operations in key geographies as well as comprehensive analysis of each company’s growth strategy and financial performance. Furthermore, the reports allow benchmarking company performance through the provision of key performance indicators including: arms sales, order backlog, and contracts.
The company showcased strong performance in the defense and security electronics segment:
The strong performance of the defense and security electronics segment is one of the company’s major strengths, since the segment is the company’s major revenue generator. In 2016, the segment accounted for 43.5% of the company’s total revenue. The segment operates through DRS technologies and Selex ES. DRS Technologies offers solutions to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Selex ES (SES) provides electronic and information technologies for defense systems, aerospace, data, infrastructure, land security and protection and sustainable ‘smart’ solutions.
The company has a strong global presence:
The company’s strong global presence helps it to serve a wide customer base and gain a competitive edge over its counterparts. Leonardo has operations in 15 countries, with a total of 180 sites, of which 42% are in Italy and 58% are in other international locations. The company owns 83 production facilities, of which 42 were in Italy and 41 in other global locations. The company classifies its business operations into five geographical regions: Italy, the UK, Rest of Europe, North America and Rest of the World.
Aims to improve its industrial efficiency and identify cross-divisional centres of excellence:
The company is focusing on increasing its industrial efficiencies through supply chain procurement, manufacturing and engineering. It is also focusing on using commonalities of transversal technologies which includes the reduction of off-load on core activities. Due to these measures, it reported an increase in its return on sales, which increased from 6.4% to 10.4% in 2016.
- Company Snapshot - details key indicators and rankings of Leonardo Finmeccanica SpA in terms of arms sales and market share in the company’s key markets.
- Company SWOT Analysis - outlines Leonardo Finmeccanica SpA’ Strengths and Weaknesses, and weigh Opportunities and Threats facing the company.
- Growth Strategies - understand Leonardo Finmeccanica SpA’ corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluate their outcomes.
- Company Performance and Competitive Landscape - analyse the company’s performance by business segment compared to other players across key markets on metrics such as arms sales.
- Key Developments - showcase Leonardo Finmeccanica SpA’ significant recent corporate events, changes or product initiatives.
- How does Leonardo Finmeccanica SpA rank among defense and security service providers in the Europe and globally?
- What are Leonardo Finmeccanica SpA’ main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2013 in terms of arms sales, and order backlog?
- How has Leonardo Finmeccanica SpA performed in comparison to competitors such as United Technologies Corp, Airbus, and General Dynamics Corp.?
- What are Leonardo Finmeccanica SpA’ strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?