The Calgary metropolitan region is located in Alberta province in Canada and is the third most populous in the country after Toronto and Montreal. The province produces nearly 70% of the country’s total crude oil and natural gas and is home to 1,404 oil based companies. Service sector is a major contributor with 52% share to the overall GVA of region’s economy in 2016.
“City Profile - Calgary” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Calgary.The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- The service sector mainly drives the economic growth of the region, accounting for 52% of total GVA followed by the industrial sector (46.8%) and the agriculture sector (1.2%) in 2016.
- Being strategically located between Canadian prairies and foothills of Canadian Rockies, Calgary is a key tourist destination in Canada and has recorded rapid growth over the last year. Strong performance is recorded in construction industry, residential market and permits issued.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
List of Tables
Table 1: Calgary metropolitan region- key facts (estimates), 2016
Table 2: Calgary metropolitan region - real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Calgary metropolitan region - economic growth (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Calgary metropolitan region - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Calgary metropolitan region - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Calgary city- main universities, 2016
Table 7: Calgary metropolitan region - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 8: Calgary metropolitan region - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 9: Calgary city - mass transit network indicators, Q4 2016
Table 10: Calgary International Airport - key airport indicators, 2014-16
Table 11: Calgary city - Fortune 500 companies with main HQ in the city, 2016
Table 12: Calgary city - office rents, Q1 2017
Table 13: Calgary city - hotel key performance indicators Q1 (17)
Table 14: Calgary city - hotel key performance indicators Q1 2017
Table 15: Calgary city - UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Table 16: Calgary city - MICE and other events, 2017
List of Figures
Figure 1: Calgary metropolitan region- real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Calgary metropolitan region - economic growth (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Calgary metropolitan region - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25
Figure 4: Calgary metropolitan region - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Calgary metropolitan region - population comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Calgary metropolitan region - population by age, 2000-25 (% of total)