Global spirits sector is forecast to record a CAGR of 8.7% during 2016-2021. North America had a value share of 15.6% in the global spirits sector in 2016, representing the third largest regional market. The region is expected to register a CAGR of 4%+ over the forecast period (2016-2021). Growth in the region will be driven by the rising consumption of tequila and rum amongst the young adult population, as opposed to conventional trends of whiskey.
Spirits sector is estimated to grow registering a projected CAGR of 4%+ during 2016-2021. In terms of volume, the North American market is forecast to record the second fastest CAGR of 2.9%, after Asia-Pacific, among all regions during 2016-2021. North America held the third highest per capita consumption of spirits at 6.3 liters, following Eastern Europe and Latin America in 2016. The region held the second highest per capita expenditure of approximately US$256 in 2016, after Western Europe’s close to US$300 spend.
Hypermarkets & supermarkets represented the leading distribution channel in the North American spirits sector with a volume share of 44.5% in 2016, followed by food & drinks specialists which accounted for 22.4% share. Among the North American countries, the share of hypermarkets & supermarkets was the highest in the US at 47.8%, followed by Mexico. Food & drinks specialists emerged as the largest distribution channel in Canada with 43.2% share of total volume sales. On-trade accounted for 23.8% share of total spirits distribution in the region, attributable to the expanding foodservice sector.
Glass was the most commonly used package material in the North American spirits sector, accounting for a 76.9% share in 2016, followed by rigid plastics with 21.9% share. Screw top was the most commonly used closure type in the North American spirits sector, accounting for a share of 99.1% in 2016.
The report "Opportunities in the North American Spirits Sector", brings together multiple data sources to provide a comprehensive overview of the North American spirits sector.
In particular, this report provides the following:
- Market overview: Includes sector size, market size, and growth analysis by markets.
- Change in consumption: Provides a shift in the consumption of alcoholic beverages by markets across different countries in the North America region.
- Country analysis: Provides Risk-Reward analysis of three countries in North America based on market assessment, economic development, socio-demographic, governance indicators, and technological infrastructure.
- Brand Analysis: Provides an overview of leading brands in North American region, besides analyzing the growth of private label in the region.
- Key distribution channels: Provides analysis on the leading distribution channels in the spirits sector in 2016. It covers five distribution channels - Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers, “Dollar Stores,” Variety Stores & General Merchandise Retailers and Others that include Other Retailers, Cash and Carries & Warehouse Clubs
- Preferred packaging formats: The report provides percentage share (in 2016) and growth analysis (during 2011-2021) for various package materials, pack type, closure, and primary outer types based on the volume sales (by pack units) of spirits.
This report brings together multiple data sources to provide a comprehensive overview of the North American Spirits sector. It includes analysis on the following:
- Sector overview: Provides overview of the sector size, value and volume growth analysis, across regions
- Change in consumption: Analysis on the shift in consumption of Spirits by markets across the key countries in the North American region.
- High potential countries: Provides Risk-Reward analysis of top 2 high potential countries in the North American region based on market assessment, economic development, socio-demographic, governance indicators, and technological infrastructure
- Country analysis: Provides deep-dive analysis of 2 high potential countries covering value growth during 2016-2021, key challenges, consumer demographics, and key trends supported with product examples. It also includes analysis of the key challenges faced and future outlook for the region.
- Brand analysis: Provides an overview of leading brands in the North American region, besides analyzing the growth of Private Label products in the region.
- Key distribution channels: Provides analysis on the leading distribution channels for Spirits across the key countries in the North American region, in 2016. It covers these distribution channels - hypermarkets & supermarkets, convenience stores, food & drinks specialists, dollar stores, which include variety stores & general merchandisers and others, which includes cash & carries & warehouse clubs and others.
- Preferred packaging formats: The report provides percentage share (in 2016) and growth analysis (during 2011-2021) for various packaging materials, container, closure, and outer types based on the volume sales (units) of Spirits.
- Manufacturing and retailers seek latest information on how the market is evolving to formulate their sales and marketing strategies. There is also demand for authentic market data with a high level of detail. This report has been created to provide its readers with up-to-date information and analysis to uncover emerging opportunities of growth within the sector in the region.
- The report provides a detailed analysis of the countries in the region, covering the key challenges, competitive landscape and demographic analysis , that can help companies gain insight into the country specific nuances
- The analysts have also placed a significant emphasis on the key trends that drive consumer choice and the future opportunities that can be explored in the region, than can help companies in revenue expansion
- To gain competitive intelligence about leading brands in the sector in the region with information about their market share and growth rates
2. Market size and growth analysis (Regional analysis)
Market Size Analysis - North America compared to other regions
Growth analysis by region
Growth Analysis by Country
Growth Analysis by market
3. Growth potential by countries in North America
Risk and reward analysis - Opportunity scores
4. Market size and growth analysis
Overview - Value and volume growth analysis by country
Growth Contribution Analysis by Country
Share of spirits compared to other Alcoholic Beverages sectors
Change in consumption levels by country and spirits markets
Per capita consumption and expenditure analysis
5. Country Profiles
6. Success Stories
7. Company and Brand Analysis
Brand Share Analysis in the spirits sector
Leading companies in North American spirits sector
Leading brands in North American spirits sector
Private label penetration in the spirits sector
8. Key Distribution Channels
Leading Distribution channels by countries
Leading Distribution channels by markets
9. Key Packaging Formats
Growth analysis by key package material and pack type
Growth analysis by closure type and primary outer type
10. Challenges and Future Outlook
List of Tables
Regional comparison: Market size, growth, and per capita analysis, 2016-2021
Risk, reward and opportunity analysis
Countries in North America - Overview
Value share of spirits sector as a proportion of overall alcoholic beverages industry by country
Change in consumption by market within spirits (value terms), 2016-2021
Per Capita Consumption in North America and by countries, 2016
Per Capita Expenditure in North America and by countries, 2016
The US spirits - Overview, % value share by market, 2016
Canada spirits - Overview % value share by market, 2016
Mexico spirits - Overview % value share by market, 2016
Leading brands in the North American spirits sector and Markets by volume, 2016
Leading companies in the North American spirits sector by volume sales (million liter), 2016
Leading Brands (including Private label) in the North American spirits sector by volume sales (million liter), 2016
Private label penetration in the North American spirits sector
Leading Distribution Channels in the North America region by countries, 2016
Leading Distribution Channels in the North America region by markets, 2016
List of Figures
Annual value growth analysis by region (2016-2021)
Annual volume growth analysis by region (2016-2021)
Value and volume growth analysis by country (2016-2021)
Value and volume growth analysis by market (2016-2021)
Country level contribution to the growth by Markets in the North American region, 2016-2021
The US spirits - Demographic Analysis
Canada spirits - Demographic Analysis
Mexico spirits - Demographic Analysis
Key package material volume (units) share, 2016
Unit volume growth by package material (2011-2021)
Key pack type volume (units) share, 2016
Unit volume growth by pack type (2011-2021)
Key closure type volume (units) share, 2016
Unit volume growth by closure type (2011-2021)
Key primary outer volume (units) share, 2016
Unit volume growth by primary outer type (2011-2021)
- SUNTORY HOLDINGS LIMITED
- Pernod Ricard SA
- Bacardi Limited
- Sazerac Company, Inc.
- Brown-Forman Corporation
- Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc.
- Grupo Cuervo
- Constellation Brands Inc
- LVMH Moet Hennessy - Louis Vuitton
- Davide Campari-Milano S.p.A.