The Industry Docket gauges the business opportunity for converged media services in Latin America, identifying the hottest markets for investment and scope for near term IPTV launch. It formulates a go-to-market strategy to penetrate such markets leveraging existing telecom and pay TV operators. The potential challenges of establishing triple-play or multiple play services and the tune of capital required are assessed in the study. A comprehensive road map for operational set-up and SWOT of concepts are analyzed for investors to make strategic decisions on the growth opportunity in the region.
Geographic scope: Brazil, Colombia, Argentina Markets covered: telecom operators, internet service providers, pay TV operators, IPTV provides, OTT platforms, VOD,
This study validates the concept of managed services like linear TV, video on demand, internet access and other IP-based offerings from a TV head end to the last mile using private telecom infrastructure. It also evaluates an international business strategy where global participants can leverage local operators to set up converged services. It also provides an understanding of the growth opportunities across regions, shortlisting countries to pursue in the short and long terms, validate its concept across a few key industry stakeholders, formulate its pricing and business strategy and understand the market landscape in countries of interest.
In LATAM, major telecom operators are offering pay TV services either via cable or satellite or have established subsidiaries to distribute these services. The telecom market is highly concentrated in most countries and they are under pressure to provide bundled services that includes linear TV, broadband services as well as OTT and VOD. Although the region is rife with political and economic uncertainty, the level of infrastructural development is testament to the rising demand for bundled services.
A highly concentrated telecom market and mature pay TV services validate the demand and the vested interest from industry stakeholders. With state support and international investment, the opportunities for growth in the region are tremendous. This is reiterated by the success of Netflix and local OTT, IPTV offerings in select countries.
Key Questions this study will answer
1. Who are the key telecom, pay TV and broadband service providers in the region?
2. What are the growth opportunities in key market like Argentina, Brazil and Colombia?
3. What are the key success factors for international participants to penetrate the market?
4. What are the major drivers, challenges and restraints steering this market?
5. What is the level of adoption of multiple play services and the demand for on-demand video consumption?
- Telcos Pay TV Operators pressurized to offer bundled services catering to linear TV, broadband, OTT & VOD; active efforts to increase last mile connectivity with IP
Scope & Limitations
IPTV Outlook:Argentina, Brazil, Colombia
- Government setup, policy overhaul and opening investment opportunities improve; Spectrum allocation, 4G services and OTT applications gain momentum
- Leading market stakeholders migrate toward a converged environment to offer quintuple play services, affirming value proposition for investors
- Regulations allowing cable operators to provide telephony and telcos to offer TV will enable services diversity
- Company Profile - Cablevisión-Fibertel, Argentina
- Affordable services with complete digital penetration priority in a stagnating ICT market
- Telco competition primarily driven by TV; initiatives among market leaders exist to scale up IPTV services and create bundles at aggressive prices
- A market with vast potential for international operators to build converged services, despite challenging market conditions
- Company Profile - Telefônica Vivo, Brazil
- Colombia fully committed to increase Digital TV and broadband penetration
- Improved political stability leads providers to expand their operations by bundling triple-play services into a single device
- Colombia is the third most promising market in LATAM owing to an informed demography seeking high-tech solutions
- Company Profile - Claro, Colombia
- Focus of key decision makers toward timely implementation and roll-out of services
- Deeper market analysis aided with roadmaps on the subsequent steps toward investment opportunities
- Argentina at the forefront of converged services with high appetite and digital readiness to adopt new services
- With Brazil leading the region in most ICT indicators and infrastructural developments, it will pioneer the next adoption cycle in the next 5 years
- As Colombia recovers from slow growth, opportunities emerge among ISPs to leverage high smartphone usage to popularize triple-play services
Annexure: Our Services
- Maximize opportunities from existing products and markets; systematically explore new products, markets, including inorganic Opportunities
- Our Growth Consulting Canvas
- Legal Disclaimer