"Social and Mobile Strategies in Retail: Technologies and Usage Cases", report discusses various social media and mobile technologies, as well as usage cases, and provides advice for ICT vendors and retailers. Retailers' different social and mobile strategies are discussed, and the related challenges and opportunities evaluated.
Retailers are increasingly interacting with customers through social networks and mobile devices in order to provide a superior experience and collect valuable data. Choosing the right platforms, systems and apps can be challenging, and may depend on shoppers’ preferences, systems integration and data collection capabilities.
- Retailers need to set clear goals for social and mobile strategies instead of jumping on the bandwagon.
- These may include increasing customer loyalty, promoting certain products or changing brand perception. Vendors’ security capabilities are crucial since major breaches can ruin retailers’ reputations.
- While some solutions feature sufficient built-in security, others require integration with standalone security packages.
- The need for mobile hardware and apps varies as not every retailer benefits in the same way from in-store tablets, smart shopping carts, kiosks, and advisor tools.
- These need to fit the overall business and marketing strategy and have to be relevant to the core customer base.
- Gain a deeper insight into retailers' social and mobile strategies.
- Understand how retailers' IT environments require specific security measures considering data flows, IoT devices and store setups.
- Useful advice is provided for ICT vendors as we.
2 Retailers’ challenges
2.1 Business challenges
2.2 Social media challenges
2.3 Mobile strategy challenges
3 Social Media Opportunities
3.1 Integrating social media into omnichannel strategies
3.2 Focusing on complaints and turning them into positives
3.3 Using artificial intelligence (AI) for social and mobile
3.4 Social media management software (SMMS) and analytics
4 Mobile Opportunities
4.1 Mobile sites and apps
4.2 Mobile data collection and analytics
4.3 In-store mobile devices and kiosks
5 Choosing the right social and mobile solutions
5.1 Social media platforms
5.2 Advantages and shortcomings of major global social networks
5.3 Major national and regional social networks
5.4 Blogging and messaging tools
6 Vendors and Technologies
6.1 Innovation drivers
6.2 Regional differences
6.3 Related technologies
6.4 Social media analytics vendors
6.5 Social media apps and tools vendors
7 Retailer Usage Cases
7.1 Walmart’s social media analytics approach
7.2 Chico’s gains insight into customers’ perception through social media
7.3 Nordstrom enables social buying through link in Instagram feed
7.6 The Entertainer
7.7 Marc Jacobs uses a like-to-purchase approach on Instagram
7.8 Desigual lets customers share their style with hashtags
8 Advice for ICT Vendors and Retailers
8.1 Advice for ICT vendors
8.2 Advice for retailers
9.2 Further reading
9.3 Contact the author
List of Tables
Table 1: Global social network landscape
Table 2: Major national social networks in China and Russia
Table 3: Major regional and national social networks in Japan, Latin America and South Korea
Table 4: Related technologies
List of Figures
Figure 1: Retailers’ social media challenges
Figure 2: Retailers’ social media platform considerations