Singapore’s population will reach to around 5.7m by year-end 2017, making it one of the least populated countries in the Asia-Pacific region. EIU expects Singapore’s population to grow at a CAGR of about 1.3% over 2017-2022, to reach just over 6m by year-end of 2022.Singapore’s nominal GDP will reach an estimated of over $300bn by year-end 2017, the 11th largest nominal GDP value for a country in the Asia-Pacific region. EIU estimates Singapore’s nominal GDP to grow at a CAGR of almost 4% over 2017-2022 to reach around $370bn by the end of 2022.
Total telecommunications and pay-TV services revenue will reach over $5.1bn (over S$7bn) in 2017, a decline of around -1.2% (-0.1% in S$) over its 2016 value due to falling voice and roaming services revenue. While total market revenue will recover going further and reach almost $5.5bn (around S$7.3bn) by 2022, growth will only be gradual due to continued decline in voice revenue and price cuts adopted by operators to tackle competition. Steady growth in mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV revenue, however, will sustain total market growth in the coming years.
Mobile data revenue will expand at the fastest CAGR of around 12% (11.3% in S$) over 2017-2022, driven by recent spectrum allocations in the 700MHz, 900MHz and 2.5GHz band frequencies, and 4G LTE/LTE-A network enhancements by MNOs that will help extend the high-speed wireless broadband network in the nation, driving higher data consumption and spending per user.
Fixed broadband revenue will also grow at a CAGR of more than 3% (about 2.5% in S$) over 2017-2022, led by a steady rise in FTTx subscriptions. Pay-TV services revenue will also increase at a CAGR of over 4.5% (4.0% in S$) over 2017-2022 mainly driven by rising IPTV adoption.
The report "Singapore: Country Intelligence Report", provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Singapore today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Furthermore, this report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
Particularly, this report provides the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Singapore.
- The regulatory environment and trends: A review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: Analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: An examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: Analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- Overall telecom and pay-TV services market revenue in Singapore will grow at a CAGR of 1.2% (0.5% in SGD) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 64.3% of the total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by continued rise in adoption of LTE/LTE-A services and projected addition of 5G subscriptions from 2020.
- Singtel leads Singapore’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by StarHub Singapore and M1. All the operators compete on the basis of 4G/LTE network enhancements and 5G development.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Singapore’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Singapore’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Singapore’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Singapore.
Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
Demographic and macroeconomic context
Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
Total telecom service revenue
Mobile services market
Fixed services market
Pay-TV services market
Competitive landscape and company snapshots
Baseline forecast assumptions
About the authors
Country Intelligence Report coverage