Exosomes are rapidly gaining momentum as a strategy for accessing the therapeutic effects of stem cells without the risks and difficulties of administering the cells to patients. With exosome companies multiplying in number and exosome publications on the rise, it is clear that exosomes can be commercialized as therapeutic agents, diagnostic tools, research tools, cosmeceuticals, and more.
The Market for Stem Cell Exosomes
Although long overlooked, exosomes are rapidly gaining momentum as a novel strategy for accessing the therapeutic effects of stem cells without the risks and difficulties of administering the cells to patients.
Although exosomes were discovered more than 30 years ago, it was not until recently that the scientific community began to give credit to exosomes for a range of promising traits. Ten years ago in 2006, there were only 76 articles published about exosomes on PubMed.gov. Today, there are more than 4,400 articles published about exosomes on PubMed.gov, of which approximately 25% were released in the past year.
When exosome publications are analyzed, U.S. authors have published approximately 40% of the articles and Chinacomes in second place. When the term "exosome" is searched in the scientific literature, Dr. Susanne Gabrielsson from the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden is the leading author, with 37 articles.
When the term "extracellular vesicles" is searched, Unicyte AG, a regenerative medicine unit of Fresenius Medical Care, takes the lead. Headquartered in Switzerland, the company has published more than 100 papers on exosomes and extracellular vesicles in combination with Prof. Giovanni Camussi.
On the venture capital front, there has also been a great deal of market activity. In January 2016, Exosome Diagnostics closed $60 million in Series B financing, which it followed in July 2017 with $30 million in Series C financing. Similarly,Codiak Biosciences was launched in 2016 when the MD Anderson Cancer Center joined two venture capital firms to form the company with more than $80 million in series A and B financing. On November 29, 2017, Codiak BioSciences added another $76.5 million in Series C financing. In May 2017, ExCoBio Inc. raised US $11 million in a Series A funding round.
Companies leading the charge in the area of exosome therapeutics include Anjarium Biosciences, Capricor Therapeutics, Codiak Biosciences, Creative Medical Technology Holdings, Everkine Corporation, Evox Therapeutics, Exogenus Therapeutics, Kimera Labs, ReNeuron, and Unicyte AG, a subsidiary of Fresenius Medical Care.
Numerous life science companies have also launched tools and systems to support exosome research, including Beckman Coulter, Exiqon, System Biosciences (SBI), Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Qiagen, ZenBio, and more. In particular, Lonza made aggressive investments in the sector through its May 2017 acquisition of HansaBioMed Life Sciences and investment into Exosomics.
Similarly, techniques for large-scale clinical-grade manufacture of stem cell exosomes is becoming a focal point within the industry, as highlighted by a recent partnership between RoosterBio and Exopharmand Lonza’s strategic acquisitions.
Exosome Market Forces
Exosome-related technologies have been developing rapidly over the past few years and substantial growth is expected for the market as they get integrated into the fields of liquid biopsy, precision medicine and regenerative medicine. In particular, cancer derived exosomes influence the invasive potential of cells by regulating angiogenesis, metastasis, and immunity, making them an extremely useful source of biomarkers for use in cancer detection, diagnosis, and therapeutic selection.
While exosomes derived from multiple stem cell types are being explored, mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) derived exosomes are best represented within the scientific literature and global patent activity.
To characterize this rapidly forming marketplace, we have released a 134 page market report that explores growing demand for exosome therapeutics, diagnostics, research tools, consumer care products, and manufacturing technologies. It also reveals trend rate data for exosome patents, grants, scientific publications, andclinical trials, and present social analytics from Google Trends and Google Adwords.
Claim it to:
- Identify the five market segments that compose the industry
- Reveal the market players competing in each niche
- Identify opportunities for exosome product development
- Access market size determinations and projections through 2022
2. Research Methodology
2.1. Input Sources
2.2 Research & Analysis Methodologies
3. Report Purpose
3.1. Survey Recent Advancements with Stem Cell Exosomes
3.2. Provide a “Snapshot” of the Global Market for Stem Cell Exosomes
3.3. Assess Opportunities for Commercialization
3.4. Identify Major Market Players and Assess the Competitive Environment
3.5. Identify Existing and Emerging Trends
3.6. Identify Critical Opportunities and Threats within the Marketplace
4. Key Characteristics of Exosomes
5. Types of Stem Cell Derived Exosomes
6. Advantages of Exosomes
7. Therapeutic Effects of Exosomes
7.1. Influencing Growth of Target Cells
7.2. Influencing Phenotype
7.3. Contributing to Cell Fate Decision
7.4. Promote Regeneration
7.6. Anti-inflammatory Effects
7.7. Anti-fibrotic Effects
8. Role of Stem Cell Exosomes in Cancer
8.1. Role in Tumor Angiogenesis
8.2. Role in Tumor Invasion and Metastasis
8.3. Role in Tumor Biomarkers
9. Exosome Characterization
10. Rates of Exosome Scientific Publications (All Cell Types)
10.1. Analysis of Exosome Scientific Publications (All Cell Types)
10.2. Analysis of Stem Cell Exosome Scientific Publications
10.3. Comparison of Scientific Publication Rates for Exosome Synonyms
11. Trend Data
11.1. Grant Funding Analysis
11.2. Patent Analysis
11.2.1. Patents about Stem Cell Exosomes
11.2.2. Patents about Exosomes (Derived from All Cell Types)
11.3. Clinical Trial Analysis
12. Social Analytics
12.1. Marketing Costs for Exosomes - Google Adwords Price-Per-Click (PPC) Analysis
12.2. Top Social Media Articles (Trailing 12 Months)
12.3. Google Trends
12.4. Twitter Data
13. Timeline of Exosome Industry Events
14. Profiles of Companies Developing Exosome Technologies
14.1. Anjarium Biosciences
14.2. Capricor Therapeutics
14.3. Codiak Biosciences
14.4. Creative Medical Technologies Holdings
14.5. Evox Therapeutics
14.6. Exerkine Corporation
14.7. ExoCoBio Inc.
14.8. Exogenus Therapeutics
14.10. Exosome Diagnostics
14.11. Exosome Sciences
14.12. Exosomics Siena SpA
14.13. Exovita Biosciences
14.14. Kimera Labs
15. Companies Developing Exosome Research Products
15.1. Market Leaders
15.2. Companies Advertising Exosome Research Products with Google Adwords
15.3. All Companies Offering Exosome Research Products
16. SWOT Analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats)
16.1. Strengths of Stem Cell Exosome Market
16.2. Weaknesses of Stem Cell Exosome Market
16.3. Opportunities for the Stem Cell Exosome Market
16.4. Threats to Stem Cell Exosome Market
17. Investment Environment
17.1. Traditional Venture Capital Investments
17.2. Other Types of Industry Investment (Partnerships, M&A, Co-Branding)
18. Market Segments
18.1. Research Products
18.2. Diagnostic Tools
18.5. Manufacturing Services
19. Market Size Determination
19.3 Future Projections by Market Segment
20. Regulatory Oversight of Exosomes
20.1. U.S. Regulation of Stem Cell Exosomes
20.2. 21st Century Cures Act and REGROW Act
20.3. Accelerated Approval Pathways in Japan
20.4. Accelerated Approval Pathways Worldwide
21. Exosome Conferences and Events
Appendix A - Exosome Industry Announcements
- Anjarium Biosciences
- Avalon GloboCare Corp.
- Beckman Coulter
- Capricor Therapeutics
- Cavadis B.V.
- Cell Guidance Systems
- Codiak Biosciences
- CosmoBio USA
- Creative Medical Technologies Holdings
- Evox Therapeutics
- Exerkine Corporation
- ExoCoBio Inc.
- Exogenus Therapeutics
- Exosome Diagnostics
- Exosome Sciences
- Exosomics Siena SpA
- Exostemtech Co. Ltd.
- Exovita Biosciences
- Galen Lab Supplies
- Guangzhou Selaira Stem Cell Technology Co., Ltd
- HansaBioMed Life Sciences
- iZon Science
- Kimera Labs
- Miltenyi Biotec
- Norgen Biotek
- Unicyte AG
The content and statistics contained within the publisher's reports are compiled using a broad range of sources, as described below.
- Clinical Trial Databases (ClinicalTrials.gov, International Clinical Trials Registry Platform, European Union Clinical Trials Register, Chinese Clinical Trial Registry, Others)
- Scientific Publication Databases (PubMed, Highwire Press, Google Scholar)
- Patent Databases (United States Patent and Trade Office, World Intellectual Property Organization, Google Patent Search)
- Grant Funding Databases (RePORT Database, CIRM, MRC, Wellcome Trust - UK, Others)
- Product Launch Announcements (Trade Journals, Google News)
- Industry Events (Google News, Google Alerts, Press Releases)
- Company News (SEC Filings, Investor Publications, Historical Performance)
- Social Analytics (Google Adwords, Google Trends, Twitter, Topsy.com, Hashtagify.me, BuzzSumo.com)
- Interviews with Stem Cell Industry Leaders
Research & Analysis Methodologies
The publisher employs the following techniques for deriving its market research:
- Historical Databases: As the first and only market research firm to specialize in the stem cell industry, the publisher has 13+ years of historical data on each segment of the stem cell the industry. This provides an extremely rare and robust database for establishing market size determinations, as well as making future market predictions.
- Prolific Interviews with Industry Leaders: As the global leader in stem cell industry data, the publisher has interviewed hundreds of leaders from across the stem cell industry, including the CEO of FUJIFILM CDI, FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific, Pluristem Therapies, Celularity, and many others.
- Industry Relationships: The research team and its President/Founder, Cade Hildreth, Chair and present at a wide range of stem cell industry events, including Phacilitate's Advanced Therapies Week, World Stem Cell Summit (WSCS), Perinatal Stem Cell Society Congress, AABB's International Cord Blood Symposium (ICBS), and other events hosted within the U.S. and worldwide.
- Global Integrated Feedback: Because the publisher maintains the world's largest stem cell industry news site that is read by nearly a million unique readers per year and the company has large social media audiences (25.7K+ followers on Linked, 21.2K+ followers on Twitter, and 4.3K+ followers on Facebook), the publisher is able to publish content relevant to the industry and receive immediate feedback/input from a global community of readers. In short, the publisher's data is crowd-sourced from market participants worldwide, including those in diverse geographic regions.
- Preliminary Research: In addition to the interviews described above, the publisher conducts market surveys, executes social media polls, and aggregates market data from stem cell industry announcements, press releases, and corporate filings/presentations.
- Secondary Research: The publisher summarizes, collects and synthesizes existing market research that is relevant to the market area of interest.
- Future Projections: Using the resources described above, the publisher is uniquely positioned to make future projections about market size, market growth by segment, market trends, technology evolution, funding activities (financing rounds, M&A, and IPOs), and importantly, market leadership (market share by company).