This study provides an analysis of the African Artificial Intelligence (AI) market. The stakeholder scope includes international technology corporations and African start-ups; technology scope includes computer vision, deep learning, machine learning, natural language processing, neural networks, predictive analytics, and robotics; and the end-user scope includes a number of industries such as banking and financial services and insurance (BFSI), healthcare, manufacturing, mining, hospitality and media, amongst others. This study details the key components of an AI ecosystem and explains how AI converges with technologies such as analytics, Internet of Things (IoT), Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR). It provides a snapshot of global AI trends in terms of key investments, strategy and competition, and also lists the acquisition-led strategies adopted by leading technology corporations including Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Facebook, Salesforce and IBM.
This study provides an analysis of the African AI market, including the competitive landscape and the extent of AI market development across key African countries, along with the impact potential and extent of market penetration of various AI technologies and the degree of AI adoption across key industry verticals. It also gives an overview of the future trajectory of AI technologies adoption in Africa. It also offers a snapshot of the AI-powered business applications in Africa; and the key consumers of AI solutions across leading industry verticals. Further, it identifies the key market drivers and restraints that are urging businesses to adopt AI and analyses the key market trends that are prompting businesses in Africa to adopt AI. Moreover, this study discusses the product portfolio and acquisition-driven strategy of emerging international AI leaders like Cisco and IBM in the AI context. It throws light on the start-up landscape in some key African countries, along with the solutions offered, technologies adopted and industries impacted. The study also explains some of the key AI solutions that are addressing regionally relevant issues in the content. It explores key growth opportunities that businesses will look to invest in and the strategic initiatives they will adopt to accelerate their AI journey. It also throws light on the key predictions for the South African AI market, in terms of consumption and technological advancements.
Key Issues Addressed
- What are the main components in an AI ecosystem? How does it converge with analytics, IoT, AR and VR?
- What are the key global trends in terms of competition, strategy and investments?
- What are the key market drivers and restraints for the development of the AI market in Africa?
- How are emerging international leaders like IBM and Cisco advancing in the AI market?
- Who are the innovative African start-ups disrupting the AI market and what do they do?
- How is the African AI market growing in terms of market development, competition, impact potential and extent of adoption across industries?
- What are the key trends shaping the African AI market?
- What are the ethical dilemmas concerning AI in Africa?
- How is AI addressing African regional issues and which are the companies developing these solutions?
- What are the potential growth opportunities in Africa that businesses can capitalise on to improve performance and stay competitive?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
2. Market Definitions
- Market Definitions
3. AI Market - Research Perspective
- Research Scope
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Topical Areas Within AI
- AI Technologies and Use Cases
- AI Components and Ecosystem
- AI - The Cornerstone of Analytics
- Why and How AI will Help Unlock the Full Potential of IoT?
- Why will AI with AR and VR be the Next Big Thing?
4. Global AI Market - An Overview
- The AI Continuum
- Positioning of Key Global Providers on the AI Continuum
- AI - Global Competitive Landscape
- Key Global AI Investment Trends
- Key Global External AI Investments Technology-Wise
- Strategy Adopted by Global Technology Corporations
5. Drivers and Restraints
- Key Market Drivers
- Key Market Restraints
6. Analysis of the African AI Market
- Why are Businesses Adopting AI?
- How are Businesses Looking to Realise Value from Adopting AI?
- Degree of AI Development across Key African Countries
- AI-powered Business Applications Landscape
- Degree of AI Adoption across Key Industries
- Impact Potential of AI across Industries and Use Cases
- Key AI Consumers across Leading Industry Verticals
- Positioning of Key Providers on the AI Continuum
- AI Technologies - Market Penetration Analysis
- Future Trajectory of AI Technologies Adoption in Africa
7. Industry Landscape - Powerful Examples of Emerging International AI Leaders in Africa
- Cisco - Product Portfolio and Acquisitions
- IBM - Product Portfolio and Acquisitions
8. Start-up Landscape - Market Insights and Competition
- Competitive Start-up Landscape
- Key AI Start-ups in South Africa
- Key AI Start-ups in Egypt, Nigeria and Zimbabwe
9. AI Solutions Addressing Regionally Relevant Issues
- AI-based Solutions Addressing Regionally Relevant Problems
10. Key Market Trends
- Trend 1 - Chatbots as a Customer Communication Channel
- Trend 2 - Rising Investments in Computer Vision and NLP Technologies
- Trend 3 - Surge in AI Adoption in the Banking and Financial Services and Insurance Industry
- Trend 4 - AI is Not Only the New BI But Also the New UI
11. Ethical Dilemmas Concerning AI
- Ethical Dilemmas Concerning AI
12. Growth Opportunities and Enterprises to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1 - Mobile-based Services
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Bots and Automated Messaging
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
13. The Last Word
- The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits