"Success Case Study: Birds Eye Hello Morning!", is part of the author's Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the success of a line of frozen morning goods launched in the UK. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products as well as avoiding risk.
Understanding consumer trends in breakfast in a given target market is one of the most important processes for making new breakfast products a success. For example, UK consumers do not spend much time on breakfast - 60% of them eat their breakfast within 15mins. Meanwhile, 82% of consumers in the UK say that flavor is important when choosing products to consume for breakfast. These figures demonstrate that a quick and easy breakfast is an appealing factor for UK consumers, yet they do not want to compromise on sensory attributes.
- Birds Eye Hello Morning! is a new frozen breakfast line launched in the UK. The brand’s venture into the UK breakfast market has paid off: sales of the range reached £3.7m between the launch and December 2016.
- UK consumers’ food purchases tend to be sensory-driven, and Birds Eye Hello Morning! offers a freshly baked goods experience as well as allowing consumers to add their own toppings.
- Consumer trends regarding breakfast consumption vary depending on the market. Manufacturers must identify these trends then make products that cater to them.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.