The popularity of craft beers, as well as technological developments which made such beverages easily available, has led to consumers feeling overloaded with choice. Bombarding consumers with beers produced by small independent breweries, as well as craft breweries being bought by big companies has led to devaluation of the “craft” concept, which means manufacturers need to find a new way to cut through the noise and add value to the beverage.
It is important for beer and cider brands to understand what consumers want to succeed in the overcrowded market. A key factor being new experiences; consumers want authenticity, but constant bombardment with craft launches and unusual flavors mean manufacturers need to find new ways to stand out.A new wave of “in-speriences” (on-trade experiences at-home) will drive demand for DIY beer and cider gadgets that are easy to use to produce “right-for-me” beverages at home.
While consumers want new experiences, they do not wish to spend much time searching for them.Hence, manufacturers need to invest in new technologies that provide minimum effort from the consumer side. Encouraging consumers to share their social network information will help brands in understanding the consumers’ needs more precisely.
Over 40% of the global consumers say that marketing buzzwords such as "craft" and "artisanal production" are just an excuse for manufacturers to charge extra for an alcoholic beverage, which shows that the dangers of the term’s overuse is real. This perception is fairly strong in countries such as Australia, the US and the UK, with around 50%, 48% and 46% consumers sharing this sentiment respectively.
The report "Snapshot of Beer and Cider Innovation Trends", identifies the key trends shaping consumption of beer and cider, in the context of new product innovations in these categories and evolving consumer attitudes and preferences.
Companies mentioned in this report: Budweiser, Bluemoon, KompaniaPiwowarska SA, Glassify, Untappd, BrewArt, Kingfisher, Zimmermann-Graeff& Mueller GmbH, Miller's, Bacardi, Coca-Cola, Asahi Breweries, Rocket Brewing Co, Estrella Galicia, Bochkari brewers, The Portsmouth Brewery, Sulimar Sp. z o.o.
- New experiences: consumers want authenticity, but constant bombardment with craft launches and unusual flavors means manufacturers need to find new ways to stand out.
- A new wave of “in-speriences” (on-trade experiences at-home) will drive demand for DIY beer and cider gadgets that are easy to use to produce “right-for-me” beverages at home.
- While consumers want new experiences, they do not want to spend much time in their search for them, so manufacturers should invest in new technology that provides minimum effort from the consumer side. Encouraging consumers to share their social network information will help brands to understand consumer needs more precisely.
- Uncover the consumer trends that are driving change in beer and cider.
- See examples of how companies are innovating to meet this demand.
- Find out what is next for the category.
2. Authentic experiences
3. Novel flavors
4. At-home “in-speriences”
5. Packaging and presentation
6. Food-drink pairing
7. Healthy lifestyles
8. Gender-specific and cross-gender appeal
9. Social media influence
11. What next?
- Kompania Piwowarska SA
- Zimmermann-Graeff & Mueller GmbH
- Asahi Breweries
- Rocket Brewing Co
- Estrella Galicia
- Bochkari brewers
- The Portsmouth Brewery
- Sulimar Sp. z o.o.