Study Goals and Objectives
This study provides a comprehensive and detailed analysis of the current and forecasted market for CMC from 2016 through 2022 and their uses in a variety of application sectors. This study's information and data provide a total picture of the industry presented herein. The objective of this study is to help the shareholders involved in the CMC industry understand the emerging opportunities and competitive threats involved in the market in the next five years. Therefore, the goal of the study is to provide a comprehensive market analysis of CMC to help the stakeholders in this domain to plan their corporate strategy based on the qualitative analysis and quantitative growth projections given through this report.
Reasons for Doing This Study
CMC is a member of the family of cellulose ethers that find application in numbers of consumer goods and industrial applications, such as food and beverage, detergents, oil drilling, hydraulic fracturing, textile, paper, coatings, ceramics, mining, and other emerging applications. The continuous slump in oil prices, Donald Trump’s victory in the U.S. elections and the U.K.’s vote to leave the European Union in 2016 were some of the major recent earthquakes that have been experienced by most of the global commodity markets, and CMC is not an exception of that. This has caused attenuation in demand for CMC in many of the application sectors, including a sharp decrease in the global oil and gas industry for the past two years. With the continuing economic uncertainties, it is now very important for stakeholders involved in the CMC industry to know the possible upcoming changes in the CMC market to plan their strategic steps well in advance.
Scope of Report
The scope of this report is broad and covers various types of CMC used in applications in different industries. The market is broken down by applications and regional markets. Revenue forecasts from 2017 to 2022 are provided for each major type of CMC application and regional market with a highlight on CMC markets in India, the Middle East, and the Eastern European region. Estimated values used are based on manufacturers’ total revenues. Projected and forecasted revenue values are in constant U.S. dollars, unadjusted for inflation.
The report also includes a discussion of the major players across each regional CMC market; it explains the major market drivers and challenges of the global CMC industry, industry structure, major applications, and the emerging applications of the global CMC market.
The report concludes with a special focus on the company landscape, which includes detailed profiles of the major CMC manufacturers in the global CMC industry.
The scope of this report is wide and includes:
- Overview on history of CMC industry and CMC technology.
- Discussion on importance of CMC and its characteristics.
- Detailed study on different grades of CMC and their market potential for various end use application sectors.
- Analysis of the market’s value, with data for 2016, estimates for 2017, and projections, including five-year compound annual growth rates (CAGRs), through 2022.
- Comprehensive analysis of region-based CMC markets with an emphasis on markets in India, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe regions.
- Discussion on industry structure, key players and their market shares, technology market strategies, latest technological and process development, CMC production capacities by companies, and pricing trend for CMC.
- PESTLE analysis and investigation on market dynamics that influence the market growth for the coming five years.
- Opportunity Strategy Evaluation (OSE) for emerging CMC applications.
- Focus on other influential factors, such as patents and company profiles.
Specifically excluded from the study as considered beyond the scope of this report include reviews on CMC process equipment, suppliers of the process equipment, and suppliers of chloroacetic acid. Inflation is not considered into the projection figures of the market.
- The global market for carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) should reach $1.2 billion by 2022 from $1.0 billion in 2017 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.1%, from 2017 to 2022.
- The Asia Pacific market for CMC is expected to grow from $330 million in 2017 to $411 million in 2022 at a CAGR of 4.5% for the period 2017-2022.
- The European market for CMC is expected to grow from $285 million in 2017 to $307 million in 2022 at a CAGR of 1.5% for the period 2017-2022.
This report was compiled through meticulous analysis of consultations from key industry stakeholders, trade data and economic indicators, comprehensive industry research and IP investigation, as well as trade and regulatory and policy environments across the world.
Research for this report began with an in-depth analysis of technical and business literature, as well as a review of a history of the technology. Information from industry experts, company representatives, government researchers and university scientists provided a basis for assessing the outlook for the CMC industry. Secondary information sources include product literature from different grades of CMC suppliers, trade data, patent searches, information on regulatory interaction, scientific references, and continuous monitoring of end users markets and technology news.
The study is divided into key chapters dealing with the different grades of CMC and their uses in different established end users markets. It makes projections for each application market in terms of U.S. dollars, and the estimation has been obtained from surveys and estimates by knowledgeable industry participants. Regional analysis of the CMC market has been provided with an emphasis on its projection in India, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe. Markets were evaluated using a combination of top-down and bottom-up analysis. Final analysis and projections of all market numbers are done based upon a combination of a consensus among primary contacts combined with an understanding of the impact of trends from an historical perspective.
In this report, the geographic regions considered for market analysis include:
- United States
- Eastern Europe
- Other Europe
- Other APAC
- Middle East
- Rest of the World
Chapter 1: Introduction
- Study Goals and Objectives
- Reasons for Doing This Study
- Scope of Report
- Information Sources
- Geographic Breakdown
- Analyst's Credentials
Chapter 2: Summary and Highlights
Chapter 3: Overview: History and Current State of CMC Industry
- Milestones in CMC History and Recent Events
- CMC and Its Characteristics
- Chemical Formula of CMC
- Importance of CMC in Recent Times
- Applications of CMC
- Key Trends in CMC Industry
- Industry Structure
- Major Companies and Market Share
- Trends in CMC Pricing
- Price Comparison for CMC and Other Hydrocolloids
- Key Commercialization Strategies
- Geographic Expansion
- Partnership and Collaboration
Chapter 4: CMC Technology
- Manufacturing Process and Different Grades of CMC
- Application of CMC by Grades and Their Functional Uses
- CMC Specifications by Application
- Value Chain Analysis
- Corporate R&D and Academic Research
- Technology Development (Both Process and Enabling Technologies)
- Regulatory Approvals, Standardization and Certifications
- Commercialization and End-Product Development
- Latest Development in CMC Technology
- Patent Review
- Patent Review by Year
- Patent Review by Application
- Patent Review by Country
- Patent Review by Assignee
Chapter 5: Market Dynamics and CMC Market by Region
- Drivers in the CMC Market
- Volatility in the Guar Gum Market
- Era of Low Fat/Sugar Reduction
- Demand for Gluten-Free Diets
- Preference for Non-GMO Food/Feed
- Demand for Oil and Gas
- Application Versatility
- Challenges in the CMC Market
- Trend of Going Clean Labeled, Natural and Organic
- Decreasing Trend in Guar Gum Price
- Threat of Substitution from Other Alternatives
- High Cost of Entry
- Market Summary
- Regional Analysis of CMC Market
- Middle East
Chapter 6: CMC Market by Application and Emerging Opportunities
- CMC Market by Application
- PESTLE Analysis
- Emerging Opportunities
- Shale Hydraulic Fracking
- Opportunity Strategy Evaluation
- Probability of Success
- Level of Attractiveness
Chapter 7: Company Profiles
- ACISELSAN ACIPAYAM SELULOZ SANAYI VE TICARET AS
- AKZO NOBEL N.V.
- AMAR CELLULOSE INDUSTRIES
- ANQIU EAGLE CELLULOSE CO. LTD.
- ASHLAND GLOBAL HOLDINGS INC.
- CHANGSHU WEALTHY SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CO. LTD.
- CHONGQING LONGFAR INDUSTRIAL CO. LTD.
- CP KELCO OY
- DAICEL CORP.
- DAI-ICHI KOGYO SEIYAKU CO. LTD./DKS CO. LTD.
- DIPTI CELLULOSE PRIVATE LTD.
- THE DOW CHEMICAL COMPANY
- HEBEI MAOYUAN CHEMICAL CO. LTD.
- HIRANYA CELLULOSE PRODUCTS
- JSC KARBOKAM
- LAMBERTI S.P.A.
- MARE AUSTRIA GMBH
- NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES CO. LTD.
- PATEL INDUSTRIES
- PT ARBE CHEMINDO
- QINGDAO LINGUANG BIOCHEMICAL CO. LTD.
- QINGDAO TIANYA CHEMICAL CO. LTD.
- QUIMICA AMTEX, S.A. DE C.V.
- SENMIN INTERNATIONAL (PTY) LTD./CELLULOSE DERIVATIVES (PTY) LTD.
- SIDLEY CHEMICAL CO. LTD.
- SINOCMC CO. LTD.
- SPECHEM CELLULOSE PVT. LTD.
- UGUR SELULOZ KIMYA A.S.
- XUZHOU LIYUAN CELLULOSE TECHNOLOGY CO. LTD.
- ZHEJIANG SANHE FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY CO. LTD.
Raw Material Manufacturers/Suppliers
- ANALYTICAL MARKETING CHEMICAL (AMC) GROUP LLC
- GEORGIA-PACIFIC LLC
- GOETZ & SONS INC.
- INTERNATIONAL PAPER COMPANY INC.
- TEMBEC INC.
Chapter 8: Appendix A: General Guidelines
- Storage and Handling Information
- Effect on Solubility
- Regulatory Status for CMC for Food and Beverage, Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Applications
- Toxicity Information
Chapter 9: Appendix B: Acronyms
List of Tables
Summary Table : Global Market for CMC, by Region, Through 2022
Table 1 : Characteristics of CMC
Table 2 : Estimated Nutritional Value of CMC, 2016
Table 3 : Key Trends in CMC Industry
Table 4 : Global Market of CMC, by Region, 2016
Table 5 : Global Market for CMC, by Company/Manufacturer, 2016
Table 6 : Installed CMC Production Capacities by Companies, 2017
Table 7 : Average Unit Values of the CMC Exported Globally, by Country, 2012-2016
Table 8 : CMC Export Price Per Unit, by Country, 2012-2016
Table 9 : Price Categories for Hydrocolloids
Table 10 : Grades of CMC and Their Typical Uses
Table 11 : Applications of Purified Grade CMC
Table 12 : Applications of Technical Grade CMC
Table 13 : CMC Specifications in Different Food and Beverage Applications
Table 14 : CMC Specifications in Detergent
Table 15 : CMC Specifications in Different Paper Applications
Table 16 : CMC Specifications in Textile
Table 17 : CMC Specifications in Oil and Gas
Table 18 : CMC Specifications in Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care
Table 19 : Patent Review of CMC for Pharmaceutical Applications, 2010-2017
Table 20 : Patent Review of CMC for Food and Beverage Applications, 2010-2017
Table 21 : Patent Review of CMC for Miscellaneous/Other Applications, 2010-2017
Table 22 : Global Market for CMC, Through 2022
Table 23 : Global Market for CMC, by Region, Through 2022
Table 24 : Global CMC Export by Top Five Exporting Countries, Through 2016
Table 25 : Global CMC Import by Top Five Importing Countries, Through 2016
Table 26 : China CMC Market, by Application, Through 2022
Table 27 : China Top Three CMC Export, by Region, 2013-2016
Table 28 : China Top Three CMC Export, by Region, 2013-2016
Table 29 : China Top Three CMC Import, by Region, 2013-2016
Table 30 : China Top Three CMC Import, by Region, 2013-2016
Table 31 : India CMC Market and Market Share, Through 2022
Table 32 : India CMC Market and Market Share, Through 2022
Table 33 : India CMC Market Share, by Application, Through 2022
Table 34 : Southeast Asia CMC Market, by Major Country, Through 2016
Table 35 : Southeast Asia CMC Market, by Major Country, Through 2016
Table 36 : South Asia CMC Market, by Major Country, Through 2016
Table 37 : South Asia CMC Market, by Major Country, Through 2016
Table 38 : CMC Importing Values by U.S. from Its Top Three Exporting Countries, 2013-2016
Table 39 : CMC Exporting Values by U.S. to Its Top Three Importing Countries, 2013-2016
Table 40 : U.S. CMC Market, by Application, Through 2022
Table 41 : Europe CMC Market, by Application, Through 2022
Table 42 : Russian Federation CMC Market, by Application, Through 2022
Table 43 : CMC Importing Values by Russia from Its Top Three Exporting Countries, 2013-2016
Table 44 : CMC Exporting Values by Russia to Its Top Three Importing Countries, 2013-2016
Table 45 : Eastern Europe CMC Market, by Major Country, Through 2016
Table 46 : Germany CMC Market, by Application, Through 2022
Table 47 : CMC Importing Values of Germany from Its Top Three Exporting Countries, 2013-2016
Table 48 : CMC Exporting Values of Germany by Its Top Three Importing Countries, 2013-2016
Table 49 : Number of Average Active Drilling Rigs on the Arabian Peninsula, by Country, 2014-2016
Table 50 : Arabian Peninsula CMC Market, by Country, 2014-2016
Table 51 : Arabian Peninsula CMC Market, by Country, 2014-2016
Table 52 : Middle East Market of CMC, by Application, Through 2022
Table 53 : Africa CMC Market, by Country, Through 2016
Table 54 : Africa CMC Market, by Application, Through 2022
Table 55 : ROW CMC Market, by Major Country, Through 2016
Table 56 : Global Market for CMC, by Application, Through 2022
Table 57 : Weighted Average Values of Each Emerging Application Based on Level of Attractiveness
Table 58 : Weighted Average Values of Each Emerging Application Based on Probability of Success
Table 59 : Acipayam Cellulose Industry and Trade Inc., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 60 : Akzo Nobel N.V., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 61 : Ashland Global Holdings Inc., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 62 : Daicel Corp., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 63 : DKS Co. Ltd., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 64 : The Dow Chemical, Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 65 : DuPont/Danisco, Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 66 : Hiranya Cellulose Products, Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 67 : Lamberti S.P.A., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 68 : Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 69 : AECI Ltd., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 70 : International Paper Company Inc., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 71 : Tembec Inc., Company Financials, Through 2016
Table 72 : FDA Approved Food Related Applications of CMC
Table 73 : Abbreviations Used in the Report
List of Figures
Summary Figure : Global Market for CMC, by Region, 2015-2022
Figure 1 : Global Market Share of CMC Production, by Region, 2016
Figure 2 : Global Market Share of CMC by Company/Manufacturer, 2016
Figure 3 : Relationship Between CMC Unit Price and Export Quantity, 2012-2016
Figure 4 : Two-Step Manufacturing Process of CMC
Figure 5 : Numbers of Published Patents, by Year, 2010-2016
Figure 6 : Share of Published CMC Patents for Different End-Use Applications, 2010-2016
Figure 7 : Share of Published CMC Patents, by Country, 2010-2016
Figure 8 : Number of Patents Published by Top Assignees (Having At Least 10 Patents) on CMC, 2010-2016
Figure 9 : Global Market for CMC, 2014-2022
Figure 10 : Global Market for CMC, 2014-2022
Figure 11 : Global Market Share for CMC, by Region, 2016
Figure 12 : Global CMC Export by Top Five Exporting Countries, 2012-2016
Figure 13 : CMC Import by Top Five Importing Countries, 2012-2016
Figure 14 : China Market Share for CMC, by Application, 2017
Figure 15 : India Top Three CMC Export, 2013-2016
Figure 16 : India Top Three CMC Import, 2013-2016
Figure 17 : India CMC Market Share, by Application, 2017
Figure 18 : India CMC Market Share, by Application, 2017
Figure 19 : India CMC Market Share, by Application, 2016-2022
Figure 20 : APAC CMC Market Share, by Region, 2016
Figure 21 : Relationship Between WTI Crude Price, CMC Import, and U.S. Drilling Activity, 2012-2016
Figure 22 : U.S. CMC Market Share, by Application, 2017
Figure 23 : Europe CMC Market Share, by Application, 2017
Figure 24 : Russian Federation CMC Market Share, by Application, 2017
Figure 25 : Germany CMC Market Share, by Application, 2017
Figure 26 : Relationship between CMC Market and Number of Active Drilling Rigs in Arabian Peninsula, 2014-2016
Figure 27 : Middle East Market Share for CMC, by Application, 2017
Figure 28 : Africa CMC Market Share, by Application, 2017
Figure 29 : Global Market for CMC, by Application, 2016-2022
Figure 30 : Global Market Share for CMC, by Application, 2016
Figure 31 : Global Market Share of CMC, by Application, 2017
Figure 32 : Global Market Share for CMC, by Application, 2022
Figure 33 : Opportunity Strategy Evaluation (OSE) Grid for Emerging Applications, 2016-2022
- Aciselsan Acipayam Seluloz Sanayi Ve Ticaret As
Akzo Nobel N.V.
Amar Cellulose Industries
Analytical Marketing Chemical (Amc) Group Llc
Anqiu Eagle Cellulose Co. Ltd.
Ashland Global Holdings Inc.
Changshu Wealthy Science And Technology Co. Ltd.
Chongqing Longfar Industrial Co. Ltd.
CP Kelco OY
Dai-Ichi Kogyo Seiyaku Co. Ltd./Dks Co. Ltd.
Dipti Cellulose Private Ltd.
Goetz & Sons Inc.
Hebei Maoyuan Chemical Co. Ltd.
Hiranya Cellulose Products
International Paper Company Inc.
Mare Austria Gmbh
Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd.
PT Arbe Chemindo
Qingdao Linguang Biochemical Co. Ltd.
Qingdao Tianya Chemical Co. Ltd.
Quimica Amtex, S.A. De C.V.
Senmin International (Pty) Ltd./Cellulose Derivatives (Pty) Ltd.
Sidley Chemical Co. Ltd.
Sinocmc Co. Ltd.
Spechem Cellulose Pvt. Ltd.
The Dow Chemical Company
UGUR Seluloz Kimya A.S.
Xuzhou Liyuan Cellulose Technology Co. Ltd.
Zhejiang Sanhe Food Science & Technology Co. Ltd.