Sweden is among the best-performing Nordic economies, supported by a strong labor market, high private and public consumption, and industrial production. The Swedish economy is highly interlinked with the EU economy. The share of exports is above 40% of the GDP. R&D export is the major growth driver. In the medium term, Swedish exports are expected to gain impetus from the improving market dynamism in the major trade destinations and from the rising demand for machinery, chemicals, and transport equipment, which represent a significant fraction of Swedish exports. The country has long maintained a humanitarian migration policy and has experience in receiving asylum seekers. As employment rates for migrants rise in the near future, unemployment will increase. The government's work environment policy is focused on zero tolerance of fatal accidents, a sustainable working life, and a psychosocial work environment.
Sweden's central location in Northern Europe makes it a preferred choice for companies to consolidate distribution and warehousing activities. Warehousing contributes to the major share of the overall logistics industry, mainly due to the growing demand from and the expansion plans of the major logistics centers, including the Gothenburg Logistics Park. Developments are also being seen in smaller peripheral cities like Örebro, Eskilstuna, and Södertälje. Low energy costs and investments in regional transit will support employment in the transportation and warehousing space. Big Data analytics, drones, automated vehicles, telematics, and alternate fuel vehicles are the key trends that will gain a strong footprint in the future of Sweden’s transportation. The European truck platooning challenge, with the successful participation of the major truck OEMs, will pave the way for the deployment of autonomous vehicles. Scania and Asko are conducting trials for the use of hydrogen propulsion. Drive Sweden is responsible for the development of a national ecosystem that will enable mobility as a service (MaaS). It also includes the development of self-driving, shared electric vehicles in system solutions.
The aim of this insight is to research and analyze key developments and trends relating to economy and trade and the freight and transportation and the logistics and warehousing sectors in Sweden.
Key Issues Addressed:
- What are the key factors driving Sweden’s economy and trade?
- What is the role of transport and logistics in the country’s economic growth?
- How do advancements in digital technologies affect logistics service offerings?
- Why are multimodal transport networks and mobility services gaining traction?
- How is the traditional value chain being transformed as a result of advancements in technology, e-Commerce growth, regulatory changes, and investment?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Outlook and Insights
2. Research Scope and Methodology
- Transportation and Logistics Market Insights
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
3. Economic and Trade Indicators
- Regional Economic Trends
- GDP Growth Trends
- National Growth Trends
- National GDP Forecast
- External Trade and Current Account Balance
- Inflation Rate
- Foreign Trade by Region
- Top Import and Export Partners
- Key Macro Developments
4. Freight Transportation
- Transportation and Logistics Market Size
- Transport Labor Cost Index
- Sea Freight
- Road Freight
- Air Freight
- New Lorry Registration Trends
- Road Freight Composition
- Overview of Transportation Technologies
- Innovation and Technology Trends
- Transportation - OEM Outlook
5. Logistics and Warehousing
- Logistics Outsourcing Trends and 3PL Market Developments
- Warehousing Rent and Cost
- Regional Warehousing Market Developments
- Warehousing Market Insights
- Policy Developments, Regulations, and Taxes
6. Strategic Initiatives and Growth Opportunities
- Outlook and Insights
- Growth Opportunity - Transportation, Warehousing, and Logistics
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
7. The Last Word
- The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer