The Zurich metropolitan area or Greater Zurich Area (GZA) is one of Switzerland’s five metropolitan regions comprising seven cantons, namely Aargau, Glarus, Schaffhausen, Thurgau, Schwyz, Zug and Zurich. The economy of the area is mainly dominated by the tertiary sector with more than 77.4% contribution to the total GVA. Improvements in professional / business services and real estate are expected to be major drivers of growth.
“City Profile - Zurich” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Zurich. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
- The service sector remains the key contributor to the area’s economy - and the major employer.
- Zurich is a key tourist destination for both domestic and international tourists and experienced healthy growth in over the years.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Technology and Infrastructure
Internal Transport Networks
Business Environment Analysis
Travel and Tourism
Construction and Real Estate
Real Estate Market
Consumption, Income and Prices
Ask the analyst
About the Author
List of Tables
Table 1: Zurich canton - key facts (estimates), 2017
Table 2: Zurich canton- real GDP growth, 2000-25
Table 3: Zurich canton - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Table 4: Zurich canton -- GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$)
Table 5: Zurich canton - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Table 6: Zurich city - population change, 2011-2017
Table 7: Zurich canton - main universities, 2017
Table 8: Zurich canton - population comparison, 2000-25 (million)
Table 9: Zurich canton - population by age, 2000-25
Table 10: Zurich canton - mass transit network indicators, 2017
Table 11: Zurich canton- key airport indicators
Table 12: Zurich canton - Fortune Global 500 companies with HQ in city, 2017
Table 13: Zurich canton - office rents, 2017
Table 14: Zurich City - International arrivals by country of residence
Table 15: Zurich canton - MICE and Other Events
List of Figures
Figure 1: Zurich canton- real GDP growth, 2000-25
Figure 2: Zurich canton - economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25
Figure 3: Zurich canton - GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25
Figure 4: Zurich canton - employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total)
Figure 5: Zurich canton - population comparison, 2000-25
Figure 6: Zurich canton - population by age, 2000-25