Breast Surgery meets the needs of surgeons in higher training and practising consultants for a contemporary and evidence-based account of this sub-specialty that is relevant to their general surgical practice. It is a practical reference source incorporating the most current information on recent developments, management issues and operative procedures. The text is thoroughly referenced and supported by evidence-based recommendations wherever possible, distinguishing between strong evidence to support a conclusion, and evidence suggesting that a recommendation can be reached on the balance of probabilities.
For this Sixth Edition the authorship team across the series has been expanded to include additional European and World experts, with an increased emphasis on global practice. Throughout all six volumes the contents have been extensively revised in line with recently published evidence. Detailed supportive key references are provided and are also included within the comprehensive list of references in the accompanying ebook. Links to recommended online videos have been added where appropriate.
- Anatomy and physiology of the breast
- Assessment of patient, breast and common clinical presentations including image guided intervention
- Benign breast disease
- Breast pathology
- Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Prevention Strategies
- Breast screening
- Breast-conserving surgery: the balance between good cosmesis and local control
- Oncoplastic Breast Conserving Surgery
- Management of the axilla
- Uncommon presentations of cancer affecting the breast
- The genetics of breast cancer, risk reducing surgery and prevention
- Breast reconstruction
- Treatment of ductal carcinoma in situ
- The role of adjuvant systemic therapy in patients with operable breast cancer
- Neoadjuvant therapy for breast cancer including surgical considerations
- Adjuvant radiotherapy for breast cancer
- Locally advanced breast cancer
- Metastatic breast cancer and palliative care
- Psychosocial issues in breast cancer
- Management of common breast emergencies and complications
Barber, Matthew D. Consultant Breast Surgeon, NHS Lothian, Edinburgh Breast Unit, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh and St John's Hospital, Livingston, UK.