India is well known for its natural beauty, catering to the needs of a variety of travellers looking for wellness, yoga, spiritual bliss, culture and heritage, adventure, and unique cuisines. India ranked eighth globally in terms of tourist volume and ranked fifth in tourist volume growth. Total tourist volume increased at 9.9% CAGR from 1,051.6 million in 2012 to 1,536.2 million in 2016 and is forecast to increase at 7.1% CAGR over 2017-2021 to 2,118.4 million.
In the passenger airlines segment, the country improved upon the number of seats sold and seats available, which is attributed to an increase in the number of international arrivals. International arrivals increased from 6.58 million in 2012 to 8.57 million in 2016, and are expected to grow to 12.4 million by 2021.
These industry reports provide a comprehensive market view including sections on: risk and reward, key industry trends and drivers, industry SWOT analysis, industry benchmarking to compare key performance indicators with regional and global markets, competitive landscape, industry innovation, deals and key developments.
Increase in airline occupancy rates to drive revenue
Total revenue increased at 9.3% CAGR during 2012-2016, from US$8,987.1 million in 2012 to US$12,846.8 million in 2016. Revenue is expected to increase at 7.3% CAGR over 2017-2021 to US$18,158 million in 2021. The increase is mainly attributed to the increase in full services airline revenue.
Leisure trips to drive increase in car rental value
The value of leisure trips increased at 4.7% CAGR during 2012-2016 to US$97.2 million in 2016 and is forecast to increase at 5.1% CAGR over 2017-2021 to US$124.4 million in 2021 due to an increase in adventure sports and destination sports such as trekking, scuba diving, rafting, jungle safaris, food trails and rural, wellness and heritage tourism.
Various facilities account for luxury hotels revenue
Total revenue increased at 1.1% CAGR during 2012-2016, from US$5,646.2 million in 2012 to US$5,897.4 million in 2016 and this is expected to increase at 3% CAGR over 2017-2021 to US$6,859.6 million in 2021. This is primarily due to the increase in luxury hotels revenue. Luxury hotel revenue increased at 2.6% CAGR during 2012-2016 to US$2,213.7 million in 2016 and is estimated to increase at 4.4% CAGR over 2017-2021 to US$2,723.0 million in 2021.
- Risk & Reward Index - The Risk & Reward index compares the position of the Indian travel and tourism industry vis-à-vis other countries in the region in terms of specific risk and reward parameters.
- Industry Snapshot and Industry View - Key travel and tourism industry statistics including total revenue and expenditure for key industry segments and the trends driving market performance in the Indian travel and tourism market.
- Industry SWOT Analysis - Discover the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats impacting market performance and investment in the Indian travel and tourism market.
- Industry Benchmarking - Benchmark how the Indian travel and tourism market is performing compared to regional and global markets in terms of car rental fleet size, car rental revenue, number of hotels, hotel revenue, passenger airline revenue, seats available and seats sold, revenue of travel intermediaries and tourism expenditure growth.
- Competitive Landscape - Overview of relevant players in the Indian travel and tourism industry such as airlines, hotels and car rental companies, with each player in the relevant category compared with its peers in terms of relevant industry indicators.
- How is the market performing in terms of indicators such as total tourist visits, passenger airline seats sold, seats sold by purpose of visit such as leisure, revenue, room nights available, room nights occupied, hotel revenue, car rental days among others.
- How risky is it to invest in the Indian travel and tourism industry compared to other countries in Asia-Pacific?
- What is driving the performance of key industry segments such as passenger airlines, accommodation and car rentals?
- Who are the leading players in the Indian travel and tourism industry and their overview and product portfolio?
- What trends are being witnessed within the Indian travel and tourism industry?
- What are the Indian travel and tourism industry’s Strengths and Weaknesses and what Opportunities and Threats does it face?
- What are the recent developments and innovations in the Indian travel and tourism industry?