Total number of service stations in Sweden increased by 0.2% in 2016, totaling 2,775 service stations.Over 9,000 new fuel cards were issued in 2016, totaling to around 1 million cards in the market. Of those cards over 77% were held by fleet vehicles and 22% by CRT vehicles.Fuel card volumes declined by 0.1% in 2016 to 2.1 Billion litres. Fuel card volumes account for 43.0% of total fuel sold in Sweden in 2016, and will continue to grow towards 2022.
Over 25,000 new fuel cards will be issued between 2017 and 2022, totaling to 1,122,345 cards in the market. Of those cards 79.6% will be held by fleet vehicles and 20.4% CRT vehicles.Fuel card volumes will decline by 2.3% between 2017 and 2022 totaling 2.0 Billion litres in 2022.Fuel card volumes will account for 45.6% of total fuel sold in Sweden in 2022, as it increases annually between 2016 and 2022.
Fleet card volumes will continue to grow rising 2.9% between 2017 and 2022 to total of over 1.4 Billion litres by the end of 2022. CRT card volumes decreased by 1.7% in 2016.after rising by 0.7% in 2015. Between 2017 and 2022 CRT card volumes will decrease by 14.5%, totaling 528m litres by the end of 2022.
Top five fuel card operators made up 95.5% of fuel card volumes in 2016 as they all offer large card acceptance networks and services such as breakdown cover and online monitoring.Q8/OK-Q8 remained the Swedish fuel card market leader as it increased its market share accounting for 29% in 2016, as clients were drawn to its large domestic service station network which covers around 26% of the market and its large unmanned network.
The report "Fuel Cards in Sweden 2017", is invaluable for issuers of fleet cards, fuel retailers, fleet leasing companies and other suppliers to the sector. Based on research with issuers and fuel retailers it provides commercial (B2B) fuel card volume (split by fleet and CRT), value and market share forecasts to 2022, key data on independent and oil company card issuers and an analysis of fuel card competition in Sweden.
Companies mentioned in this report:Shell, BP, Esso, DKV, UTA, TOTAL, Q8, Agip (Eni), ROUTEX, AS24, Aral, OMV, Circle K, OKQ8, INGO, Preem, St1.
- The total number of service stations in Sweden increased by 0.2% in 2016 totalling 2,775 service stations.
- Over 25,000 new fuel cards will be issued between 2017 and 2022, totalling to 1,122,345 cards in the market.
- Fleet card volumes will continue to grow rising 2.9% between 2017 and 2022.
- Q8/OK-Q8 remained the Swedish fuel card market leader as it increased its market share accounting for 29.0% in 2016, as clients were drawn to its large domestic service station network which covers 26.0% of the market.
- Plan effective market entry strategies by uncovering current and future volumes and values of the Swedish fuel card market.
- Assess whether you should increase network acceptance of your card and identify potential new merchants by uncovering the position of competitors.
- Whether you are an issuer, a processor, a leasing company or a fuel retailer, make informed pitches to partners by understanding their business.
- Enhance fuel sales at your service stations by identifying which fuel cards you should accept based on their market shares and network acceptance.
Competitor Card Analysis