Worldwide PC shipments have been sharply declining over the last 4-5 years. This is due to a combination of factors including market saturation; extended replacement cycles; economic instability in emerging markets; and competition from other consumer devices like smartphones and phablets. The unit shipments for the global PC market is expected to decrease from 258.8 million in 2017 to 215.8 million in 2023, at a negative compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.0 percent over the forecast period.
On the positive side, there are indications that technology innovations such as touch-enabled PCs, 2-in-1s, ultra-slim and convertible laptops, hybrids, better battery life, and the Surface product line from Microsoft, combined with demand from the enterprise segment, can offset the declines to an extent. Windows 10 adoption rates will have a huge influence on the course of the PC market over the forecast period.
The adoption of Windows 10 continues steadily since its launch in 2015. Windows 10 installations started out at a blistering pace with 75 million in its first four weeks and over 350 million in its first 12 months. However, its free upgrade offer ended in the middle of 2016, which has affected subsequent adoption rates. It is expected to pick up pace once again towards 2020 as the deadline for ending Windows 7 support approaches.
This market insight covers the following:
- Global market trend analyses - including market drivers and restraints.
- Detailed unit shipment forecasts for the total PC market.
- Competitive landscape, in terms of major participants and market share analysis.
- The base year of the market insight is 2017, with forecasts running up to 2023. The research highlights key trends impacting the global PC market and outlines future implications.
The global market has been segmented into North America, Latin America (NALA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), and Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA).
Key Issues Addressed
- Will the market continue to decline at its present rate over the forecast period?
- Where does PC technology stand today? What are the primary challenges faced by vendors addressing this market? What are the drivers and restraints for growth in this market?
- What does the current competitive landscape look like? Will there be further consolidation over the next 4-5 years? Is the market attractive for mergers and acquisitions?
- What are the revenue breakups by geographical regions - North America / EMEA / Asia-Pacific / Latin America? Which are the fastest growing?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Executive Summary - Market Engineering Measurements
- Global Market Life Cycle Analysis
- Research Scope
- Market Overview - Regions Covered
- Digital Media Value Chain Coverage
3. External Challenges - Drivers and Restraints: PC Market
- Drivers - Impact and Duration
- Restraints - Impact and Duration
4. Forecast and Trends - PC Market
- Market Engineering Measurements
- PC Market - Forecasting Methodology
- Unit Shipment Forecast
- Percent Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Forecast by Region
- Unit Shipment Discussion
5. Market Share and Competitive Analysis - PC Market
- Competitive Analysis - Market Share
- Market Share Analysis
- Competitive Structure and Tiers of Competition
- Competitive Environment
- Competitive Landscape Analysis
- Competitive Factors and Assessment
6. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1 - Windows 10 Upgrades
- Growth Opportunity 2 - Synergistic Acquisitions and Partnerships
- Growth Opportunity 3 - Gaming PCs
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
7. The Last Word
- The Last Word - Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer