"Cigarettes in South Africa, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in South Africa.
With a population of over 54 million, South Africa is one of the most important regional cigarette markets. However, sales have for many years been badly affected by tax-induced price rises, as well as an expanding non-duty paid market and the increasing health concerns of smokers. There are currently 8.05 million adults smoking regularly or occasionally, with 37.3% of adult male and 7.8% female smokers in 2016, or 22.3% of the adult population. The smoking prevalence has been declining in recent years. In per capita terms, legitimate consumption now averages around 387 pieces a year in 2016 and is forecasted to decline to 289 pieces by 2026.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis and our in-house expertise.
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands along with company profiles.
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habit and the growing health concerns affecting overall production.
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2016 to 2026.
- Market volume in 2016 was 21 billion pieces
- In per capita terms, consumers consumed an average of 387 cigarettes in 2016 or 1.1 per day.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- As consumers’ product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the specific market dynamics of the country's market is crucial to ensuring maximum future sales.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes -prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail Prices
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production and Trade
8. Operating Constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption , 1990-2016
Table 2: Duty paid and non-duty paid consumption, 2006-2016
Table 3: Per Capita Consumption in South Africa, 1990-2016
Table 4: Cigarette Sales by Price Band in South Africa, 2004, 2007 & 2009, Percentage share
Table 5: Regular v Light Cigarettes in South Africa, 2004-2007, Percentage share
Table 6: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 7: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, 2000-2016, Percentage Share
Table 8: Leading Cigarette Brands, 2005-2007
Table 9: Peter Stuyvesant Market Share, 2000-2008
Table 10: Taxation on Cigarettes, 1992-2017
Table 11: Tax Incidence, 1994-2012
Table 12: Retail Price Breakdown by Category for South Africa, 2009, Per 20-Pack, Rand
Table 13: BATSA: Recommended Retail Prices (RRP), 2008, 2009, 2010, & 2012, Rand
Table 14: Average Retail Price of Cheapest Legal v Cheapest Illicitly Traded Cigarettes, 2013, Rand
Table 15: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
Table 16: Number of Smokers by Consumption Pattern & Race, 1999
Table 17: Smoking Incidence by Race (Students), 2016
Table 18: Incidence of Cigarette Smoking by Province, 2003
Table 19: Incidence of Smoking Amongst Youths by Province, 2002
Table 20: Smoking Prevalence by Ethnicity, 2009
Table 21: Incidence of Smoking by Income Among Nguni/Sotho adults, 1999
Table 22: Incidence of Smoking by Gender Among Nguni/Sotho Adults, 1999
Table 23: Incidence of Smoking by Age Among Nguni/Sotho, 1999
Table 24: Incidence of Smoking by Level of Education Among Nguni/Sotho, 1999
Table 25: Incidence of Smoking by Size of Community Among Nguni/Sotho, 1999
Table 26: Cigarette Production, 1990-2015
Table 27: Cigarette Factories, 2009
Table 28: Cigarette Imports , 1990-2016
Table 29: Cigarette Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, million pieces
Table 30: Cigarette Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016 - Percentage of Total Imports per country
Table 31: Exports of Cigarettes, 1990-2016, Million Pieces
Table 32: Cigarette Exports by Destination Country, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 33: Cigarette Exports by Destination Country, 2000-2016, Percentage of Total Exports to Each Country
Table 34: Key Company Facts
Table 35: Consumption Forecasts to 2026
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology