The fourth edition of this highly regarded textbook has been thoroughly overhauled. There is ? a new chapter bridging the gap between learning and doing (On-Call); ? new coverage of FGM and the Zika virus; ? sepsis has been updated; ? there is access to a further five chapters online; ? there are ten videos to guide learners through the more difficult, complex issues they might face in O&G; ? and new self-assessment has been written to help with testing understanding.
- Key points boxes throughout
- Full-colour illustrations throughout
- Over 350 illustrations
- Comprehensive coverage
- New chapter covering On Call O&G with practical guidance and steps for acute and important issues likely to be encountered (hypertension, sepsis, bleeding, labour-ward emergencies etc.).
- New sections on FGM.
- Expanded areas in medical disorders in pregnancy and mental illness.
- Comes with an e-book on StudentConsult.
- Ten videos with experts guiding viewers through a range of essential issues, from on-call scenarios to fetal medicine.
- Self-assessment. Over 40 SBAs and case-based questions.
- Pelvic anatomy
- History and examination
SECTION 2 GYNAECOLOGY
- Paediatric gynaecology and disorders of sex development
- The normal menstrual cycle and amenorrhoea
- Early pregnancy care
- Menstrual disorders and premenstrual syndrome
- Pelvic pain and endometriosis
- The menopause and HRT
- Ovarian neoplasms
- Uterine neoplastic disease
- Cervical disease
- Trophoblastic disease
- Vulval disorders
- Gynaecological surgery
SECTION 3 REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
- Pelvic infection and STIs
- Psychosexual problems
SECTION 4 OBSTETRICS
- Antenatal and postnatal care
- Maternal medicine
- Prenatal diagnosis
- Obstetric haemorrhage
- Fetal growth and surveillance
- Hypertension in pregnancy
- Multiple pregnancy
- Normal labour and pain relief in labour
- Monitoring of the fetus in labour
- Malpresentation and slow labour
- Emergencies in labour
- Operative delivery
- Stillbirth and neonatal mortality
- Neonatal resuscitation
SECTION 5 ON CALL FOR OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY
- Practical obstetrics and gynaecology
W2. Imaging in gynaecology
W3. Physiology of pregnancy
W4. Obstetrics in under-resourced settings
W5. Neonatal care
V1. Pelvic pain
V2. The menopause
V5. Fetal medicine
V8. Slow and precipitate labour
V10. On call
Andrew Thomson is a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at Royal Alexandra Hospital. He worked as an editor on the previous edition.
Philip Owen Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Princess Royal Maternity Unit, Glasgow, UK.
Philip Owen has published over sixty research papers plus several book chapters. He is on the editorial board for the European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology.
Brian A. Magowan Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Borders General Hospital, Melrose, UK.
Brian Magowan is a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and Head of Service at the Borders General Hospital, Melrose. His clinical interests are in fetal medicine and obstetrics, as well as obstetric skills training in the UK and overseas, particularly Sub-Saharan Africa. He was the lead editor for the previous edition of the title.