Lubricants are majorly used in the industrial sector for the proper functioning of machines. Lubricants are available in liquid, semi-fluid, or solid state, and possess various characteristics, such as, high viscosity index, high level of thermal stability, low freezing point, and high boiling point, all of which help to reduce friction between surfaces of machine parts and the rate of wear, without compromising operational efficiency.
Used Vehicles Driving the Market
The major driver for the African lubricant market is the increasing demand for group I base oils, especially in Western Africa countries, like Nigeria. West African counties are dominated by a high number of used vehicles and the countries mainly produce low cost products for the vehicles, which adds demand to group I base oils. In addition, growing investments in car manufacturing are also fuelling the demand.
Synthetic Lubricants a Potential Segment
Based on base stock, the lubricant market has been divided into mineral oil, synthetic, semi-synthetic, and bio-based lubricants. Synthetic lubricants are expected to show great potential, especially in countries like South Africa, as they extend the engine life significantly along with the increasing oil change time. On the basis of product type, the market has been further segmented into engine oil, transmission & hydraulic fluid, metalworking fluid, general industrial oil, gear oil, grease, process oil, and others. Engine oil is the most widely used lubricant, accounting for more than half of the market share.
Key Developments in the Market
- December 2017: Fuchs Lubricants, South Africa is planning to set up a Lubritech Division, which will be effective from January 1st 2018.
- November 2017: Oryx Energies completed acquisition of 75.01% stake in Atlas Energy Limited, Gambia (Atlas) expanding their network in Gambia.
Reason to purchase this Report:
- Market definition along with the identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario and prospective opportunities.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Which group, product type and end-user industry is expected to dominate the market
- Which country is expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
1.1 Research Phases
1.2 Study Deliverables
1.3 Scope of the Report
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.2.5 Degree of Competition
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Increasing demand for Group I base oils especially in West Africa countries
4.1.2 Growing Africa's industrial sector
4.1.3 High demand for high performance lubricants
4.1.4 Other drivers
4.2.1 Lack of lubricant blending facilities
4.2.2 Heavy reliance of raw material imports
4.2.3 High Price of Synthetic and Bio-Based Lubricants
4.3.1 Recovering Automotive Sales in Africa
4.3.2 Other opportunities
5. Market Segmentation and Analysis - (Market size, Growth and forecast)
5.1 By Group
5.1.1 Group I
5.1.2 Group II
5.1.3 Group III
5.1.4 Group IV (PAO)
5.2 By Base Stock
5.2.1 Mineral Oil Lubricant
5.2.2 Synthetic Lubricant
5.2.3 Semi-synthetic Lubricant
5.2.4 Bio-based Lubricant
5.3 By Product Type
5.3.1 Engine Oil
5.3.2 Transmission & Hydraulic Fluid
5.3.3 Metalworking Fluid
5.3.4 General Industrial Oil
5.3.5 Gear Oil
5.3.7 Process Oil
5.4 By End-user Industry
5.4.1 Power Generation
5.4.2 Automotive & Other Transportation
5.4.3 Heavy Equipment
5.4.4 Food & Beverage
5.4.5 Metallurgy & Metal Working
5.4.6 Chemical Manufacturing
6. Regional Market Analysis (Market size, growth and forecast)
6.2 South Africa
6.6 Rest of Africa
7. Future of the Market
8. Competitive Landscape
8.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations and Agreements
8.2 Market Share Analysis**
8.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
9. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products & services, Recent Developments, and Analyst View)
9.3 Conoil Plc
9.4 Cooperation Petroleum Co.
9.9 Misr Petroleum Co.
9.16 Oryx Energies
*List not exhaustive
**Subject to Availablity on Public Domain