The major market drivers have been the adoption of location-based services and the reduced costs of satellite imaging solutions. Further, the technological advancements, such as the launch of GPS satellites, remote sensing technology, cloud service, and high-resolution cameras, have created numerous opportunities for the growth of the commercial satellite imaging market. However, the provision of higher resolution images through aerial imaging, when compared to satellite imagery, is expected to restrict the market growth.
Geospatial Data Acquisition & Mapping To Hold The Largest Market Share
As of 2017, Geospatial data acquisition & mapping application accounted for the largest market share in the global CSI market. The growth of this application is attributed to the increased utilization of satellite imagery for the selection of construction sites, 3D modelling of excavation areas, route planning, and monitoring of infrastructural projects, among others. Convergence of the geospatial technologies (such as GIS, location-based services, remote sensing, navigation models, and other visualization models) has enabled new forms of data visualization models, which have greatly enhanced the user-experience and enabled the end-users to interact with the models in innate ways, by making the use of multiple components. These components include hues, markers, and heat maps. Also, the recent trends in integration and convergence of geospatial technologies, such as the advent of new business models that are aimed at leveraging the demand for geospatial information, and increased application of geospatial data acquisition in city and town planning, are shaping the commercial satellite imaging market space. For instance, Tableau, a global leader in visualizations, has improved its data preparation tool and is working to add natural language processing, geospatial analytics & mapping, and other capabilities to its software.
United States To Hold The Largest Market Share
Being an early adopter and leader in space technology for imaging applications across various end-user verticals, the United States dominates the market. The country boasts of a highly advanced and developed market landscape buoyed by government organizations, such as NASA. The United States is one of the highest spending countries on aerospace and defense. Also, the country has been a forerunner in adopting technologies to address environmental concerns, through the United States Environmental Protection Agency. In 2016, the country invested around USD 1.42 trillion to combat climate change and carbon emissions, through effective imaging and GIS. The government’s emphasis on owning a state-of-the-art technology and equipment for the use in the industry proves to be instrumental in driving the adoption rate of satellite-based imaging techniques. With the increasing number of natural disasters, such as Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Matthew, Great Smoky Mountains wildfires, and Louisiana floods, it is imperative for the country to adopt monitoring and disaster management solutions. However, high costs and licensing issues remain the major constraints impeding the market growth in this region.
Key Developments in the Market
- October 2017 - DigitalGlobe Inc. migrated its entire 100-petabyte imagery library to Amazon Web Services (AWS). The company aims to utilize the AWS’ suite of machine learning capabilities, including the newly released Amazon SageMaker, to build, train, and deploy machine learning applications. The acquisition is aimed at building machine learning models that extract data from satellite imagery library, in order to provide detailed business insights to their customers.
- October 2017 - DigitalGlobe was acquired by Maxar Technologies for about USD 2.4 billion. This acquisition is aimed at leveraging Maxar’s diversified revenue base, core businesses, and expand opportunities for the future growth.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- To know how the growing adoption rate of location-based services act as a driver to the global market scenario.
- To analyze various market perspectives, with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- To know which of the applications and end-user verticals are expected to dominate the market.
- To know which of the regions is expected to witness the fastest growth rate during the forecast period
- To identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies that are employed by the major market players.
- Three months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
This report can be customized according to your requirements. Please connect with our representative who will ensure you get a report that suits your need.
2. Research Scope and Methodology
3. Market Analysis
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Porter's Five Force Analysis
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Adoption of Location Based Services
4.2.2 Reduced Cost of Satellite Imaging Solutions
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost and Licensing Issues
4.4 Value Chain Analysis
5. Technology Snapshot
6. Segmentation By Application
6.1 Geospatial Data Acquisition & Mapping
6.2 Natural Resource Management
6.3 Surveillance & Security
6.4 Conservation & Research
6.5 Construction & Development
6.6 Disaster Management
6.7 Defense & Intelligence
7. Segmentation By End-user Vertical
7.3 Transportation & Logistics
7.4 Military & Defense
7.6 Forestry and Agriculture
8. Segmentation By Region
8.1 North America
8.4 Latin America
8.5 Middle East & Africa
9. Key Vendor Profiles
9.1 DigitalGlobe, Inc.
9.2 Galileo Group, Inc.
9.3 Planet Labs, Inc.
9.4 Spaceknow, Inc.
9.5 SkyLab Analytics
9.6 Harris Corporation
9.7 BlackSky Global LLC
9.8 ImageSat International NV
9.9 European Space Imaging (EUSI) GmbH
9.10 UrtheCast Corp.
10. Investment Analysis
11. Future of the Market
- DigitalGlobe Inc. ( Maxar Technologies)
- Galileo Group Inc.
- Planet Labs Inc.
- Spaceknow Inc.
- SkyLab Analytics
- Harris Corporation
- BlackSky Global LLC
- ImageSat International NV
- European Space Imaging (EUSI) GmbH and UrtheCast Corp.