Given the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) vigorous use of the "Concerted Activity" protection where Employers of Union and Non-Union organizations are prohibited from restricting employees from discussing pay, work environment issues, management and discussing how they feel about their supervisors which at times was negative and even using profanity in describing the feelings of their supervisors in social media.
Objectives of the Presentation
This training will help Employers, HR Professionals and Managers understand the current regulations that impact privacy in the workplace. These are some of the learning objectives:
- Learn how privacy in the workplace can have a negative impact on both Employers and employees if they are not aware of current regulations
- Reasonable Expectations of Privacy Defined
- Privacy in terms of customer, employee and other personal data is becoming a risk in terms of data breaches and identity theft situations
- Large companies like credit bureaus, financial institutions and other industries have lost data and has forced companies to institute stronger privacy controls in addition to paying huge penalties
- Workplace regulations that have penalties components have increased fines and penalties and even criminal sanctions
- - Transgender privacy concerns
- - ADA/ADAA
- - Reasonable accommodations
- - HIPPA
- - GINA
- - OSHA
- - Workers Compensation
- - Drug screening results
- - Surveillance
- - Polygraph
- - Recording
- - Criminal Background Screening
- - Fair Credit Reporting Act
- - Electronic Storage Communication
- - I-9 Immigration Document
- Pay Equity
- Create policies that will mitigate some of the privacy issues that arise in the workplace
- Employers should create password protection efforts to ensure compliance of company policies
- Case Studies on previous court cases and current court cases on privacy in the workplace
- For Employers with International EU footprints, the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) has large penalties effective March 2018
- Learn how Employers can prepare and protect data by leveraging technology
Employers need to be aware of how privacy protections impact their companies and employees. Many privacy protections include HIPPA and GINA when it comes to medical information and information accessed in wellness questionnaires, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), American with Disability Act (ADA & ADAA) and even information in employee personnel files like I-9 documents, drug testing and criminal Background screenings.
Privacy concerns should be addressed, and privacy policies should be developed to protect not only employees but also Employers. This training is surely a training that needs to be part of the risk management strategy along with workplace regulations, employee handbooks and policies.
LLC-Compliance Officer ,
HR Compliance Solutions
HR Compliance Solutions, LLC-Compliance Officer, Margie Faulk, PHR, SHRM-CP-is a senior level human resources professional with over 14 years of HR management and compliance experience. A current Compliance Officer for HR Compliance Solutions, Margie has worked as an HR and Compliance advisor for major corporations and small businesses in the small, large, private, public and Non-profit sectors. This includes Federal Contracting in the defense, military, anti-Terrorism and Apache Helicopter Training Simulations with Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Federal Sentencing Guidelines (FSG) and Office of Federal Contract Compliance Program (OFCCP). Margie is bilingual (Spanish) fluent and Bi-cultural.
Margie's focus has expanded to Global Workplace Compliance in International, multi-state, multi-National, state and local workplace compliance which includes workplace compliance in other countries like the UK, Canada, France, Brazil, China, Africa, Mexico and India, just to name a few.
Margie has created and presented seminars/webinars for many compliance institutes. These national training providers, offer compliance training to HR professionals, business owners and companies interested in having their company compliant with workplace and industry regulations.
This year, Margie was selected by Alan Collins, former Vice President of Human Resources at PepsiCo, a renowned author of 8 books on HR Prosperity & Success, and founder of "Success in HR", to be part of his Mastermind Your Way to Success in HR, "Expert Interview Series based on her successful Webinars/Seminars on HR Compliance."
Margie holds professional human resources certification (PHR) from the HR Certification Institution (HRCI) and SHRM-CP certification from Society for Human Resources Management. Margie is a member of the Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics (SCCE).