Increasing Demand for High-Efficiency Fertilizers
Trends in crop production (maize, and wheat) in the last four decades show that the nitrogen application rate increased about 15 times, whereas, its accumulation in grains increased only three to four times. At the same time, nutrient recovery by crops remained relatively low (e.g. about 50% for nitrogen). This represents a potentially alarming situation from environmental, economic and resource conservation points of view and indicates an urgent need for improving efficiency of fertilizer use. Anticipated benefits from the controlled release fertilizers are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
Worldwide Demand is Driving the Market
Developing East Asian countries, such as China, Indonesia, India, Vietnam, Cambodia, Pakistan, Thailand, and Malaysia have remained major growth markets for controlled released fertilizers. The annual growth rate for fertilizers, in these markets is in 4% to 5% range. Because agriculture in these areas is a major economic sector, crop quality is crucial, and fertilizers take an important part in their development prospects. Since 2002, some European countries, such as, Spain, Portugal, Greece, and Italy began fighting against the adverse effects of chemical residues on lands already ruined by unwise farming practices, that cause desertification. In Europe, the FAO expects overall use of fertilizers to remain flat with slight increases during the forecast period. Latin America is expected to be a strong export region in the next five years.
Growing Environmental Concern Promoting Controlled Release Fertilizers
To sustain the further world population, more fertilizers are required, which may become an environmental hazard, unless adequate technical and socioeconomic impacts are addressed. In the current study, slow-release formulations of nitrogen fertilizer were developed on the basis of natural attapulgite (APT) clay, ethyl cellulose (EC) film, and sodium carboxymethylcellulose/hydroxyethylcellulose (CMC/HEC) hydrogel. The structural and chemical characteristics of the product were examined. The release profiles of urea, ammonium sulfate, and ammonium chloride as nitrogen fertilizer substrates were determined in soil. The influence of the product on water-holding and water-retention capacities of soil was determined. The experimental data indicated that the product can effectively reduce nutrient loss, improve use efficiency of water, and prolong irrigation cycles in drought-prone environments. That is why, the market is expected to witness a higher CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Developments in the Market
With the growing demand from the burgeoning population, the global controlled release fertilizer market is experiencing a number of new product launches, mergers & acquisitions, and partnership between the global players.
- December 2017: China's first modern agricultural service platform - Jinfeng commune and the world's top 500 enterprises, Accenture officially reached a strategic cooperation, the two sides will jointly build Chinese leading digital modern agricultural service platform.
- October 2017: Maire Tecnimont S.p.A. (Milan, Italy) announced that its subsidiary Stamicarbon has acquired a 20% stake in Pursell Agri-Tech, LLC, a US-based startup company specialized in developing and marketing polymer-coated, controlled-release fertilizers.
- July 2017: IFC and Kingenta jointly launched a new company, Jinfeng Agricultural Services Co. Ltd. Several individual projects were planned for operation in the country, including upgrading conventional fertilizers into specialty fertilizers, especially focusing on CRF.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Global, regional and country-level analysis, along with forecasts of the studied market.
- Study of the effect of exogenous & endogenous factors, viz. demographic, economics, and political factors, among others, which affect the global market.
- Porter’s five forces framework incorporating the factors influencing each force to determine the intensity of competition.
- Segment and sub-segment level analysis of the market over the review and forecast period.
- Identification of key factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, exploiting new opportunities and gaining a competitive edge.
- SWOT analysis for key players and a detailed study of their current strategic interests and key financial performance indicators.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel. Customization of the Report
- Countries of client’s interest can be included in report based on feasibility of report.
- Companies of client’s interest can be included in report based on feasibility of report.
1.1 Market Definition
1.2 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Scope and Methodology
2.1 Study Deliverables
2.2 Study Assumptions
2.3 Market Segmentation
2.4 Research Methodology
2.5 Research Phases
3. Market Dynamics
3.1.1 Increasing Demand for High-Efficiency Fertilizers
3.1.2 Environment-Friendly Operation
3.1.3 Growing Demand from Developing Countries
3.2.1 High production Cost
3.2.2 Residual Effects Inviting Health Hazards
4. Industry Analysis
4.1 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.1.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.1.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.1.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.1.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.1.5 Degree of Competition
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Chemical Condensation Products
188.8.131.52 Urea-Isobutyraldehyde/Isobutylidene Diurea
184.108.40.206 Urea-Acetaldehyde/Cyclo- Diurea
5.1.2 Coated and Encapsulated Fertilizers
220.127.116.11 Sulphur Coated
18.104.22.168 Polymer Coated
22.214.171.124 Sulphur-Polymer Coated
5.1.3 Nitrogen Stabilizers
126.96.36.199 Nitrification Inhibitors
188.8.131.52 Urease Inhibitors
5.1.4 Other Controlled Release Fertilizers
5.2 By Application
184.108.40.206 Grains & Cereals
220.127.116.11 Oil Seeds
18.104.22.168 Fruits & Vegetables
5.2.2 Non Crop-Based
22.214.171.124 Turf & Ornamental Grass
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 South Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Major Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.2 Most Active Companies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Agrium Inc.
7.2 CF Industries Holdings
7.3 Yara International
7.4 K+S AG
7.5 Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (U.S.)
7.6 OCP Group
7.7 Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan
7.8 The Mosaic Company
7.9 Compo GmbH & Co. KG (Germany)
7.10 Israel Chemicals Ltd.
7.11 Bunge (BG)
7.12 Sociedad Quimica Y Minera De Chile SA
7.13 Haifa Group
7.14 ATS Group
7.15 ICL Specialty Fertilizers
7.16 The Chisso Corporation
7.17 Compo GMBH & Co. KG
7.18 Shikefeng Chemical Industry
7.19 Greenfeed Agro Sdn. Bhd.
8. Future Outlook of the Market
- Agrium Inc.
- CF Industries Holdings
- Yara International
- K+S AG
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (U.S.)
- OCP Group
- Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan
- The Mosaic Company
- Compo GmbH & Co. KG (Germany)
- Israel Chemicals Ltd.
- Bunge (BG)
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera De Chile SA
- Haifa Group
- ATS Group
- ICL Specialty Fertilizers
- The ChISSo Corporation
- Compo GMBH & Co. KG
- Shikefeng Chemical Industry
- Greenfeed Agro Sdn. Bhd.