Golden Triangle - One of the Largest Markets for MODU
The deepwater drilling market is expected to rebound in the near future due to increased activity in the Golden Triangle - Gulf of Mexico, Brazil, and West Africa. Chevron’s Ballymore and Shell’s giant Whale discovery in the Gulf of Mexico represents the sign of regional deepwater revival after a long time, without any major discovery. The discovery of Egypt’s mammoth offshore natural gas field “Zohr” is expected to increase the demand for mobile offshore drilling units. Several large offshore drilling projects countries such as Mozambique and Nigeria are further expected to drive the MODU market.
Recovery in Brazilian Offshore Industry - Driving the Market
Brazilian offshore oil & gas industry has been on a setback due to lack of investment in the past few years. The new conservative government in the country has introduced several reforms such as ending Petrobras’ monopoly over the countries prolific hydrocarbon resources and has opened the hydrocarbon reserves to foreign companies. Several foreign companies like ExxonMobil, CNOOC, Repsol, etc. have already acquired stakes in both post-salt and pre-salt blocks, and are likely to start exploration in the near future. Around 14 deepwater projects are expected to come by 2020 in the country. The country is aiming for additional oil production capacity of around 2 MMb/d by 2027, that too mostly from deepwater. As a result, the tender for MODUs, especially drillships in the country, is expected to increase.
Oversupply of Floaters and Jack-up - Restraining the Market
The offshore drilling market is oversupplied with floaters and jack-up rigs. As of August 2017, more than 100 floaters and 200 jack-up rigs were stacked. The new build order book includes approximately 40 floaters and 100 jack-up rigs, majority of which do not have contracts. As a result, the stacked floaters and jack-up rigs are expected to be chosen first, by drilling contractors and then look for new ones.
Key Developments in the Market
● January 2018: Keppel Corporation is in discussion with Borr Drilling Limited for the possible sale of six jack-ups for around USD 960 million to Borr Drilling. The jack-up rigs are currently being made by Keppel Corporation’s subsidiary Keppel Offshore & Marine Limited.
● October 2017: PPL Shipyard Pte Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sembcorp Marine Ltd has signed an agreement for the sale of nine Pacific Class 400 jack-up drilling rigs to Borr Drilling Limited and its subsidiaries.
MAJOR PLAYERS: Keppel Corporation Limited, Samsung Heavy Industries Co., Ltd, Sembcorp Marine Ltd, Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co., Ltd, Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd, Friede & Goldman, Ltd, Damen Shipyards Group, Yantai CIMC Raffles Offshore Limited, Irving Shipbuilding Inc., among others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
● Current and future global mobile offshore drilling unit market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
● Analyzing various perspectives of the market with help of Porter’s Five Forces analysis
● The segment that is expected to dominate the market
● Regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
● Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
● 3 month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
Customization of the Report
● This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
2. Research Methodology
3. Market Overview
3.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast until 2023
3.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4. Market Dynamics
5. Supply Chain Analysis
6. Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
6.3 Threat of New Entrants
6.4 Threat of Substitutes
6.5 Competitive Rivalry
7. Market Segmentation and Analysis (Overview, Market Size, and Demand Forecast until 2023)
7.1 By Type
7.1.1 Jack Ups
7.2 By Depth
8. Regional Market Analysis (Overview, Market Size, and Demand Forecast until 2023)
8.1 North America
8.1.1 United States
8.1.3 Rest of North America
8.2.2 United Kingdom
8.2.3 Rest of Europe
8.3 South America
8.3.4 Rest of South America
8.4 Middle East & Africa
8.4.1 Saudi Arabia
8.4.4 Rest of Middle East & Africa
8.5.4 Rest of of Asia-Pacific
9. Key Company Analysis* (Overview, Products & Services, Financials**, Recent Development, and Analyst View)
9.1 Keppel Corporation Limited
9.2 Samsung Heavy Industries Co. Ltd
9.3 Sembcorp Marine Ltd
9.4 Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co. Ltd
9.5 Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd
9.6 Friede & Goldman, Ltd
9.7 Damen Shipyards Group
9.8 Yantai CIMC Raffles Offshore Limited
9.9 Irving Shipbuilding Inc.
10. Competitive Landscape
10.1 Mergers and Acquisitions
10.2 Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
10.3 Market Share Analysis
10.4 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
11.1 Contact Us
*List not Exhaustive
**Subject to availability on public domain
- Keppel Corporation Limited
- Samsung Heavy Industries Co. LTD
- Sembcorp Marine Ltd
- Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co. LTD
- Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. LTD
- Friede & Goldman LTD
- Damen Shipyards Group
- Yantai CIMC Raffles Offshore Limited
- Irving Shipbuilding Inc.